Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

FreeSync + audio bitstreaming?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.

FreeSync + audio bitstreaming?

Postby ChiefBigFeather » 04 Nov 2018, 12:54

I would like to use FreeSync while also bitstream audio to my receiver. Has anyone found a solution other then the ASUS Xonar HDAV (the pci-e version is unavailable/stupidly expensive)?

Before you post, things that don't work:

I know of no receiver with VRR compliant passthrough

Using two different slots on your VGA for the display and receiver doesn't work because you need to go into multi monitor mode to transmit the sound. Freesync doesn't work in multi monitor mode.

There are no HDMI splitters with confirmed VRR support. There is one that claims VRR support but people reported it didn't work.

The ideal solution would either be a VRR compliant splitter or an external USB to HDMI audio device. Do you happen to know a device capable of doing this? Thanks in advance!
ChiefBigFeather

Re: FreeSync + audio bitstreaming?

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 04 Nov 2018, 17:27

Interesting use case -- switching VRR through a receiver.

Yes, that is something that needs more testing & validation. Especially with receivers that overlays graphics on top.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby Haldi » 02 Dec 2018, 10:35

ChiefBigFeather wrote:I would like to use FreeSync while also bitstream audio to my receiver.

Using two different slots on your VGA for the display and receiver doesn't work because you need to go into multi monitor mode to transmit the sound. Freesync doesn't work in multi monitor mode

Uhm, sorry i don't really follow...
By Bitsream you don't mean the normal PCM Signal that is sent via DP/HDMI but the Dobly Digital encoded one like DTS-HD?

i'm currently using a Samsung C49HG90 via Displayport from my Vega64. Freesync works.
For sound i use the HDMI Port to the Denon AVR-X1000 then a HDMI-DVI Adapter to my 2nd Monitor. But i'm pretty sure that also worked when no monitor was connected after the AVR.
Attachments
Sound.PNG
Sound.PNG (64.45 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Haldi

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2018, 18:19

It's also possible to use HDMI-to-Toslink splitter, but I don't know if those support FreeSync VRR. There's been failures to passthrough FreeSync through receivers and adaptors. So it's a bit of a guesswork game at this stage -- trying to pass FreeSync through adaptors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Return to FreeSync