Freesync (g-sync compatible) monitors flickering on 60fps games

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
diakou

Freesync (g-sync compatible) monitors flickering on 60fps games

Post by diakou » 14 Nov 2020, 00:26

So Brawlhalla is a game that does not have exclusive fullscreen modes or a proper flip-model, it cannot be identified for G-Sync to work without using the fullscreen NVIDIA Control Panel trick and then going into NVIDIA Profile Inspector to then enable application mode fullscreen + windowed and global mode fullscreen + windowed.

However - this so far seems to not work on almost any g-sync compatible 240hz or 144hz (freesync) monitors with NVIDIA cards, irregardless of driver versions or editing the VRR Range to be lower (30-38-48) however I have not tested with HIGHER VRR range yet. The reason why I suspect this to be a problem of VRR ranges is because 1) there are randomly at times, where it'll actually NOT flicker, but it's usually very short-lived like a minute or so. (this behavior replicated on 4 different monitors, I have a lot of friends to test stuff with) and whenever g-sync is obviously active with or without flicker, the game is incredibly smooth (inputlag, as v-sync is forced in that game and this seems to break the compositor delays to an extent, giving lower lag and smoothness.)

I have confirmed it to be flicker-free with a g-sync module, a 240hz and a 360hz. The 360hz has a VRR range of 1-360, so this is essentially why I believe it to be a problem of the VRR range.

Any tips for what to do to possibly make the flickers dissappear? I have tried a bunch of options, but in general, this entire thing seems like black magic and info is ridiculously limited. Everyone has a weird "trick" that works for them, but seems to not be universal whatsoever for fixing flicker and freesync. I have a lot of people who'd benefit from making this work, but it seems impossible, the next attempt will be higher VRR ranges, but I'm not sure what ranges would be safe. I'm thinking something like 100-240 and not 48-240 etc might make it flickerfree. Would appreciate some tips.