Latest consensus on Freesync, Anti-Lag & Vsync

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
vorpal

Latest consensus on Freesync, Anti-Lag & Vsync

Post by vorpal » 17 Apr 2021, 08:06

I am a bit confused and even though I spent a good hour searching around -- I couldn't find the info I wanted, but still, pardon me if I just missed it.

I recently got a 6700 XT and I keep having all kinds of issues with, from problems with 'metallic surfaces' in Fallout 76, FPS locked at 55 (my monitor is 165, so somehow it's locked at one third of its refresh rate) but I digress, I'll slowly work on those, hopefully my GPU isn't defective or something, being a gigabyte and all.

On to the topic, what should I use with my monitor? It uses Freesync premium pro (whatever that means) vsync ON & Chill capping my fps at 164? Or maybe turn off vsync and use Anti-lag? Thanks!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Latest consensus on Freesync, Anti-Lag & Vsync

Post by RealNC » 17 Apr 2021, 09:57

I'm not sure about freesync, but with gsync we cap to about 3 or 4 FPS lower than Hz. So on a 165Hz display, we first make sure 165Hz is actually used in the game, and then we cap to 161FPS. In fact, this happens automatically when enabling NVidia's "anti lag" method. It automatically caps games when using gsync.

Forcing the highest refresh rate in games can be done through the nvidia panel. I don't know if AMD has an equivalent setting. If not, then it might be difficult to prevent a few games from switching to 60Hz (Bethesda's games are prone to do this.) Always check the monitor's OSD to see what the current Hz is.

Now, with freesync, many users recommend the same approach. A cap that is few FPS lower than the refresh rate. Even through there was a statement from an AMD developer in the past that freesync doesn't work very well with a capped framerate, most users claim that it does, and the "G-SYNC 101" series of articles you can find here also apply to freesync:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... -settings/

So I recommend reading those articles. Obviously ignore the parts that are about the NVidia control panel.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.