Do the "Optimal G-SYNC Settings" apply to AMD cards?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Splondir

Do the "Optimal G-SYNC Settings" apply to AMD cards?

Post by Splondir » 26 Nov 2021, 04:37

After reading the Optimal G-SYNC Settings, I'm a little confused. It seems like FreeSync (G-SYNC Compatible) monitors have been tested extensively, but with Nvidia cards. As an AMD user, my question is does the advice to enable FreeSync and V-Sync together apply the same way it does for G-SYNC and V-Sync? Has this actually been tested with AMD hardware?

Also, should I enable Radeon Anti-Lag?

Thanks for all the hard work you folks do.

jorimt

Re: Do the "Optimal G-SYNC Settings" apply to AMD cards?

Post by jorimt » 26 Nov 2021, 11:02

Splondir wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 04:37
As an AMD user, my question is does the advice to enable FreeSync and V-Sync together apply the same way it does for G-SYNC and V-Sync? Has this actually been tested with AMD hardware?
Yes and yes. Base VRR behavior is base VRR behavior, regardless of branding.

That said, unlike Nvidia, I've heard the AMD CP V-SYNC option doesn't always apply in all cases, so my V-SYNC option recommendation for a 100% tear-free VRR experience on AMD cards would be to use the in-game, not AMD CP V-SYNC option.
Splondir wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 04:37
Also, should I enable Radeon Anti-Lag?
That settings is equivalent to Nvidia's Low Latency Mode. As such, it's not directly VRR-related, and instead involves reducing pre-rendered frames in the render queue in GPU-bound situations (with or without VRR enabled).

I.E. whenever your GPU usage is at 99%+, Anti-Lag can reduce render queue input lag by up to 1 frame:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/rad ... e-anti-lag
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)