Freesync + Vsync + RTSS 138fps cap or Freesync + Enhanced Sync + RTSS 138fps cap

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
tauin

Freesync + Vsync + RTSS 138fps cap or Freesync + Enhanced Sync + RTSS 138fps cap

Post by tauin » 16 Jul 2022, 02:24

I'm trying to find the best option to get a tear free, near-stutterless experience on Team fortress 2 but i've hit a road block which is that i cant seem to find which is better; Freesync + Vsync + 138fps cap (which ive heard is best for this) or Freesync + Enhanced Sync + 138FPS cap. Enhanced sync is recommended by the mastercomfig docs, mastercom's has pretty deep knowledge about how TF2 works which is why I use RTSS as my fps capper instead of tf2's inbuilt fps cap as they recommend that

I'm not exactly familiar with any of this, so any help would be appreciated

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Freesync + Vsync + RTSS 138fps cap or Freesync + Enhanced Sync + RTSS 138fps cap

Post by RealNC » 16 Jul 2022, 04:30

Use in-game cap first with freesync. If you get stutters, then try the other method and see if it's better.

At the end, pick the one that works best for you.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Freesync + Vsync + RTSS 138fps cap or Freesync + Enhanced Sync + RTSS 138fps cap

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jul 2022, 21:20

The fallback sync tech theoretically never should activate, so you theoretically should never see VSYNC or Enhanced Sync behavior when using FreeSync+138fps cap on a 144Hz FreeSync monitor.

The purpose of the 2nd sync technology is a fallback that activates when game framerates try to exceed the VRR range.

It's simply a fallback.

In the real world, VRR is not perfect, and cap algorithms in many games are not perfect (can fluctuate a bit -- one frame may render 1/135sec and next frame renders 1/145sec -- in order to maintain average 138fps -- and such "fast" frames will get the fallback-sync-technology treatment).

On NVIDIA, it is just simplest to use VSYNC ON + NULL (for least problems) and call it a day.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!