Freesync + vsync ingame or what? Valorant gaming question.

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Avantu

Freesync + vsync ingame or what? Valorant gaming question.

Post by Avantu » 26 Apr 2023, 09:58

Hi all! I recently switched from 3060ti to 7900xt and i want to replicate my setup in Valorant atleast. I feel like there is a bit more stuttering on Radeon but i'm not entirely sure. On nvidia i played with gsync on, nvidia reflex on and vsync on, so capped frames at 224fps. My monitor is freesync pro hp omen x 27 1440p 240hz and i enjoyed playing like this. For nvidia we are recommending here vsync in nvidia panel. Which one should in theory be the best in such case on radeon? Freesync + ingame vsync + ingame fps cap? Or maybe freesync + radeon enhanced sync + radeon fps cap + ingame vsync on? Or anything else? Many thanks in advance.

Avantu

Re: Freesync + vsync ingame or what? Valorant gaming question.

Post by Avantu » 26 Apr 2023, 13:15

Okay I did some tests and for me best settings ATM for Valorant on my setups are:

Enhanced Sync + Freesync + Ingame cap off + Ingame vsync off + Radeon FRTC @ 230FPS. Pretty much steady 4.3ms frametime.

I tried Also Enhanced Sync + Freesync + Ingame cap off + Radeon FRTC @ 300FPS, frametime were great but gameplay felt jerky, vision was jittery? Idk i felt something weird.

Vsync ingame + Freesync + Ingame Cap @ 230FPS stayed on about 4.3ms but fluctuated from 3ms to 5ms all the time.

Nosync + Freesync + no FPS cap was also not that bad, second best would say actually, but not better than best one and more power consumption.

bumbeen

Post by bumbeen » 08 May 2023, 06:37

I have some experience with valorant and amd vs nvidia gpus so I will give you my thoughts. I went the opposite direction as you from a 5700xt to a rtx 4070.

1) I think you may be accurate with seeing more stuttering on radeon than nvidia. I can only make half-informed guesses as to why this is: Unreal Engine leans towards nvidia gpus, valorant has nvidia reflex built into it which passes the timings of the valorant game threads to the nvidia driver to optimize the sleep timing to work with the gpu and whatever sync function you're trying to use. With Radeon you aren't getting any of the benefit from these timings, so any type of syncing enforced from the driver side is going to create lots of backpressure on the CPU(no bueno) so radeon driver FPS cap is almost certainly something to avoid

2) I don't think enhanced sync has much value unless you're going to run double frame rate of your monitor which basically makes the gpu throw away every other frame generated by the game. But even then I think the latency is going to be higher than freesync with an in-game cap under monitor refresh.

On my 5700xt every additional setting I seemed to turn on in the AMD drivers always seemed to introduce some kind of random jitter or stutter, whether it was anti-lag, enhanced sync, etc. I got much better results just turning on freesync and leaving everything else alone and adding an in-game framerate cap.

On my 4070, I don't seem to notice any difference between having vsync on and off with g-sync compatible enabled, I don't get tearing regardless as long as in-game FPS limit is below my monitor refresh rate.

Avantu

Post by Avantu » 08 May 2023, 10:10

I tried all combinations and the first one seems the best. Enhanced sync AFAIK works like vsync below refresh rate, idk but for me works best. On geforce before and bulrbusters recommend to have vsync and free/gsync on. I was suprisef because valorant seems atleast as fluid or even better than on nvidia with reflex lmao. Ofc 3060ti is a lot less powerful card but still. On the other hand CS GO plays like shit even tho my fps are steady, i tried every combination and it is a mess. I guess CS2 is only hope lmao

flaviowolff

Post by flaviowolff » 29 Sep 2023, 13:31

tonyadams wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 21:20
In my opinion, the best combination for the best experience on Radeon is Freesync + Radeon Enhanced Sync + Radeon FPS cap + In-game Vsync on. By enabling FreeSync,contexto you ensure that your monitor's refresh rate syncs with your GPU's output, reducing screen tearing. Radeon Enhanced Sync further helps to minimize tearing and reduce input lag.
Hi, could you elaborate a bit? Why is Radeon Enhanced Sync better than regular VSync with Freesync On?