Optimal Freesync Settings?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
sky_dynasty

Re: Optimal Freesync Settings?

Post by sky_dynasty » 16 May 2024, 14:28

F1zus wrote:
15 May 2024, 16:29
sky_dynasty wrote:
13 May 2024, 09:33
Today I used G-SYNC Pendulum Demo to test my LG 27GP850-B 165 Hz monitor. My graphics card is AMD 6700 XT.

Below 165 fps, the bar showed no tearing. As soon as I set fps to 165 and above, there was some tearing.

Enhanced sync resulted in some micro stutters.

For the smoothest settings, I turned on v-sync and capped fps to 158 (I am going to use the same fps cap as Nvidia Reflex). When I let my fps go above my display refresh rate with v-sync on, the frametime displayed in RTSS was not stable.
The video card does not need any 1ms.
I realized that.

xXNaZXx

Post by xXNaZXx » 26 May 2024, 08:42

Not trying to step over the OP or hijack the conversation. But honestly, I don't feel this requires another post which will basically cover a pretty similar question. I hope this won't cause any issues :mrgreen:

To provide some background, I recently changed my 2070 to a 6950 (New in Team Red), and as i had a 21:9 Freesync LG monitor i've told myself: Hey let's play a little bit with this. And then I discovered the complex world of "how to tune everything so it works properly". I've been reading a lot of Reddit, this forum and watching Youtube a lot to check what's the general consensus regarding the "How to Freesync" topic. But i've quickly found a question barrier.

Currently I'm using:
  • 100Hz Refresh rate.
  • Freesync Enabled both on the monitor and Adrenalin Software.
  • RTSS cap on 97FPS.
  • VSync Disabled both in Adrenalin and Ingame.
Now the questions I haven't been able to find a proper answer:
- RTSS vs Chill? It's usually 50/50 and nobody landed on a "this is the best" answer.
- VSync On? If so, where? Ingame or Driver?
- Any benefits if AntiLag is enabled? Or maybe any other fancy feature Adrenalin has?

I'm not into competitive games so what i'm looking for is a General config I can user for everything so it feels smooth and has the less possible "visual" impact (stutters, latency, etc). My test playground is currently Helldivers 2 if that helps.

Thanks a lot!

Luviaz

Post by Luviaz » 27 May 2024, 09:10

- RTSS vs Chill? It's usually 50/50 and nobody landed on a "this is the best" answer.
I think there's minimal difference between the two. Chill is motion based so it doesn't limit FPS when you're in menus, loading screens,..and some games just run them at unlimited FPS, making the GPU waste alot of power. I prefer RTSS for that reason. Other than that, RTSS and Chill is pretty much the same thing, a CPU frame limiter.
- VSync On? If so, where? Ingame or Driver?
Just use the ingame for simplicity sake. Unless you're dealing with a game with broken VSync, then use the driver one.
Vsync On if you want absolute no tearing, Vsync Off with Freesync can still produce tearing. However, I've never experience tearing Vsync off with RTSS cap.
- Any benefits if AntiLag is enabled? Or maybe any other fancy feature Adrenalin has?
It is recommended by AMD to keep it on for both Vsync On single player titles and Vsync off competitive tiltles. As far as i know it only works when you're GPU bound (your GPU time is much longer then CPU time), It will then adjust your CPU time so that the CPU won't get so far ahead from the GPU for better input latency. The fact that Anti-Lag could not be mutually enabled with Chill implies that, since Chill also work with your CPU time. I keep Anti Lag enable for everything and honestly I don't see any significant difference.
I'm not into competitive games so what i'm looking for is a General config I can user for everything so it feels smooth and has the less possible "visual" impact (stutters, latency, etc). My test playground is currently Helldivers 2 if that helps.

Thanks a lot!
An easy catch-all config would be Vsync ON, Freesync ON and a framerate cap. Just keep in mind, your experience in terms of fluidity is highly dependable on the software side. I use to think that beefy enough hardware can iron out anything but some games are just so poorly made and optimized that they would produce unpleasant experience on even the best hardware money can buy.