FreeSync + Radeon Chill: How to set up Chill? FRTC preferred?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
JasonBlurB

FreeSync + Radeon Chill: How to set up Chill? FRTC preferred?

Post by JasonBlurB » 16 Mar 2023, 22:40

I am curious what is optimal way to configure AMD Adrenalin for use with a FreeSync monitor.

AMD stated that Radeon Chill automatically matches the Min and Max FPS to the FreeSync range of monitor. So, is it best to leave Radeon Chill at default?

I have also read that the G-Sync 101 settings apply to FreeSync, so is it better to use set max frame rate to refresh rate - 3 fps? If so, is it best to do this via Radon Chill by setting Min = Max = -3 fps or to use FRTC at -3 fps?

Since VSync on AMD only works for OpenGL API, is it best to use Enhanced Sync in driver but then to activate VSync in-game only for OpenGL games?

jorimt

Re: FreeSync + Radeon Chill: How to set up Chill? FRTC preferred?

Post by jorimt » 16 Mar 2023, 22:54

JasonBlurB wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 22:40
I have also read that the G-Sync 101 settings apply to FreeSync, so is it better to use set max frame rate to refresh rate - 3 fps? If so, is it best to do this via Radon Chill by setting Min = Max = -3 fps or to use FRTC at -3 fps?
So long as the framerate remains at least 3 frames within the current physical refresh rate, use what limiting method you prefer. In-game limiters are generally 1/2 to 1 frame lower latency than external, whereas external limiters tend to have steadier frametime performance at the cost of slightly higher latency.

Do note for higher than 240Hz refresh rates, minimum limiting should technically be closer to around 3-5% under the physical refresh rate due to lower frametime tolerances at those scanout speeds.
JasonBlurB wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 22:40
Since VSync on AMD only works for OpenGL API, is it best to use Enhanced Sync in driver but then to activate VSync in-game only for OpenGL games?
Use the in-game V-SYNC option with FreeSync. Enhanced Sync is equivalent to Nvidia FreeSync, which is not recommended to be paired with VRR for several reasons:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/8/
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

vookhan

Re: FreeSync + Radeon Chill: How to set up Chill? FRTC preferred?

Post by vookhan » 03 Jun 2023, 10:06

Sorry for necroing, but why does ingame Vsync (in Clash: Artifacts of Chaos) disable my Chill?
Without Vsync I'm limiting to 166 FPS but with I get 170 FPS.
Should Vsync be still enabled in this case?