V-SYNC ON/OFF on VESA Adaptive Sync with iGPU

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
crimsontheking

V-SYNC ON/OFF on VESA Adaptive Sync with iGPU

Post by crimsontheking » 18 Jun 2023, 02:05

Hi everyone,

I have recently bought a laptop with a 165HZ VRR display, i7 11th gen cpu and an RTX 3080. The adaptive sync option only works when the laptop is in hybrid graphics mode, and I have enabled it that way. Problem is, while the games I play is (mostly) tear free, there are a lot of microstutters. I have read thr GSYNC-101 topic, but couldn't find information about the V-SYNC behaviour when the game runs on dGPU but the display is connected to iGPU.

The recommended setup for getting rid of the occasional tearing and having smoother frametimes is to enable both g-sync and v-sync at NVCP. However, both of those options are unavailable due to dGPU not being directly connected to the laptop display. I have read in the G-SYNC 101 topic that v-sync does not behave the same way when g-sync is enabled. My question is, should I enable v-sync in-game when using VESA Adaptive Sync with iGPU and running the game on dGPU? I have tried enabling it and it seemed to alleviate the occasional tearing, but the microstutters are still there. And input lag seemed to be increased (though I am not so sure).

The games I have tried:
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (70-90 FPS)
Battlefield 1 (120-150 FPS)
CS:GO (162 FPS)
The Last of Us: Part 1 (60-80 FPS)

While all of those games have microstutters, The Last of Us suffers the most. It is also the only game in the list that doesn't support exclusive fullscreen.

I have found a link directly from Microsoft, mentions that in order for games to support VRR, they have to have v-sync off feature available, but I don't know if it means I should disable vsync. (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... e-displays)

Thank you for your time :)

Zodasaur

Re: V-SYNC ON/OFF on VESA Adaptive Sync with iGPU

Post by Zodasaur » 19 Jun 2023, 01:35

What's VESA adaptive sync? Is that a different different technology than Freesync?

crimsontheking

Re: V-SYNC ON/OFF on VESA Adaptive Sync with iGPU

Post by crimsontheking » 24 Jun 2023, 09:45

Zodasaur wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 01:35
What's VESA adaptive sync? Is that a different different technology than Freesync?
AFAIK, it is the same tech but certified by Video Electronics Standards Association. The main difference here is that games run on dGPU but display is connected to iGPU, so I thought there might be a difference in whether should I enable or disable VSYNC ingame.