Games Stuttering Despite High Framerate

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Olat

Games Stuttering Despite High Framerate

Post by Olat » 26 Sep 2023, 14:34

Hello!

I have an issue on my PC where games randomly stutter, drop frames and feel juddery.

The best example is CS:GO, where I can easily hold 400-600 fps on most maps without ever falling below 300.
If I play without any FPS limiter, the game feels unresponsive, like I'm playing at 34 fps.
If I limit FPS to 300, it hovers around that value, but is never a stable 300, even though it stays above 300 all the time when FPS is unlocked.
Since I have a 144Hz FreeSync monitor, I limit my FPS to 141.
In theory, this should give me a smooth experience, but in practice, the game stutters randomly every few seconds, and there's also a small, but noticeable frametime spike when analyzing with the RTSS frametime graph turned on. The spike and actual visual stutter do match most of the time, but sometimes the game stutters without a spike.
The same happens if I use the engine FPS limit (fps_max 141), Radeon Chill or RTSS. It's also constantly dropping to 140 fps, even though I would expect it to be a fixed 141 since I can keep 300 at all times.
It's really driving me mad since I can't have a smooth experience at all.
This happens in most of the games I play, for example Rocket League and Cyberpunk, but CSGO is the most jarring example.
I can't reach 144 fps in Cyberpunk, but I am always above 70, so I limit FPS to 60, but even then there's a random stutter or frameskip every few seconds.
All games are basically unplayable with unlimited FPS.

I've tried pretty much everything I could find in these forums, YouTube, Reddit, official documentations and more, but I can't find a resolution.
I feel like I have great framerate in all games I play, but they all feel extremely stuttery and juddery.

Any help would be much appreciated!

My spec:
XFX Speedster SWFT 210 AMD Radeon™ RX 6600
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X3D
16 GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
Games are on a Samsung Evo SSD (can't remember the exact model)
LG 27GL63T FreeSync Monitor (G-Sync capable)

I've attached a video to maybe help explain the issue better, though the stuttering is not really visible in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2baKWLIK32M

Thank you!

imprecise

Re: Games Stuttering Despite High Framerate

Post by imprecise » 29 Sep 2023, 07:26

Core parking being on could contribute to this problem.

I've been looking into the RAM speed for this CPU and it seems that faster RAM doesn't make as much difference in gaming benchmarks due to the added cache on the CPU. I saw some recommendations to run it at 3600-3800mhz but it's technically above the specs. Maybe someone who has the chip can give some more anecdotal information. I suspect improvement will be seen in latency using 3600-3800mhz since DDR3 3200mhz has better latency than DDR4 3200mhz, and it may not translate in benchmarks. The higher frequency will increase tRFC as well, so it's kind of a balancing act between throughput, latency, frequency, and what the hardware can manage.