Ideal set-up for competitive FPS games

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
tummySkaren

Ideal set-up for competitive FPS games

Post by tummySkaren » 18 Oct 2023, 17:16

Hi! I'm using an i5-12600KF and 6600XT. I'm using an MSI G27CQ4 - a 165hz 1440p VA panel which I plan on upgrading from soon. I have a few questions as to the optimal settings for Valorant.

1. I consistently get > 165fps at 1440p, should I still do the Vsync(both in game and in AMD Adrenalin) + Freesync(both in monitor and in AMD Adrenalin) + In game FPS cap(4 below minimum)/should I use AMD's FRTC instead?
2. If I upgrade to a 1080p 360hz monitor/1440p 240hz monitor, I may not be able to consistently hit 360fps/240fps respectively - should I still do it then? Under the impression that using Vsync + VRR will optimise my refresh rate and latency at all times?
3. Is this Vsync + VRR thing really good for a game like Valorant? This source by AMD themselves seems to indicate otherwise:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-settings

Thank you for taking the time to read this post :)

kiethcross

Re: Ideal set-up for competitive FPS games

Post by kiethcross » 01 Feb 2024, 06:30

Hello :) ,
1. If you consistently get over 165fps at 1440p, I think you should enable Vsync and Freesync together. Vsync helps prevent screen tearing by synchronizing the frame rate output of your GPU with the refresh rate of your monitor (in this case, 165Hz). Freesync, on the other hand, allows for dynamic refresh rate adjustment to reduce stuttering and input lag. Enabling both will provide a smoother and tear-free gaming experience.

2. If you upgrade to a 1080p 360Hz or 1440p 240Hz monitor, where you might not consistently hit those high frame rates, I think you should enable Vsync and Freesync together. While you may not always reach the maximum refresh rate, the combination of Vsync and VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) technologies will optimize the refresh rate and reduce screen tearing and stuttering whenever your frame rate falls below the maximum.

In this scenario, Vsync and VRR will work together to match the frame rate output of your GPU with the refresh rate of your monitor, providing a smooth and tear-free experience even if you're not hitting the maximum refresh rate all the time. This ensures optimal refresh rate synchronization and reduced input lag.