Some question about FreeSync LFC

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Stizzie

Some question about FreeSync LFC

Post by Stizzie » 22 Feb 2024, 17:02

Hi ! I've just picked up a 180hz monitor, pretty sweet upgrade from 75hz i must say. Also the first time i get to experience LFC.
After a week i have some questions:

1. As advertised LFC only kicks in when fps is below minimum freesync floor but i have noticed that LFC seems to prefers to engage whenever possible. At 60fps the monitor will refresh 120hz, 72fps 144hz,...and so on while those FPS are well within the Freesync range. Is there a reason for this? What are the notable differences between 60fps at 60hz vs 60fps at 120hz ?

2. I'm very subsceptible to input lag, so i always strictly follow the -3 max refresh rate guide. Now, with LFC, a scenerio where the VRR ceiling can be reach disregard of a frame cap can occur. Say i have a fps cap of 177 and my game runs at 90. As far as i know ( at least my monitor ) will very likely to refresh at 180hz. Will that count as reaching fps = hz and will that horrible, vsynced level of input lag get introduced ?