Chances of BenQ XL2411Z updating to FreeSync?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Lagahan

Chances of BenQ XL2411Z updating to FreeSync?

Post by Lagahan » 27 Dec 2014, 07:41

EDIT: Just realized the XL2411Z doesn't have a DisplayPort connection so that writes it off straight away. The XL2420Z might still work though.

Title says it all, but first I wanna say thanks to you guys for helping me get my laptop up to 105Hz from 60Hz!

So after getting a taste of the smoothness, I'm looking at a 144Hz monitor for my PC, probably the XL2411Z for its lightboost capability.

I'm wondering if there's any chance they might be able to put out a firmware update for some sort of freesync capability, or is the controller on them probably too old to support it?

I'm not going G-sync because I'm on an R9 290 GPU at the moment and probably won't upgrade back to Nvidia (AMD drivers suck) til the 1xxx or whatever comes out after the 980Ti (and because price, seriously Nvidia!)
Last edited by Lagahan on 17 Jan 2015, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Falkentyne

Re: Chances of BenQ XL2411Z updating to FreeSync?

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Dec 2014, 08:18

Freesync requires hardware changes, just like Gsync does. You can't simply flash a firmware and change the way legacy hardware works. That's like getting HDMI 2.0 by flashing a monitor that has HDMI 1.4a ...

Lagahan

Post by Lagahan » 27 Dec 2014, 08:27

Falkentyne wrote:Freesync requires hardware changes, just like Gsync does. You can't simply flash a firmware and change the way legacy hardware works. That's like getting HDMI 2.0 by flashing a monitor that has HDMI 1.4a ...
I know most do but I was wondering if it could be like one of these:
Even more interesting, this is a pre-existing display that has had its firmware updated to support Adaptive Sync. That's potentially exciting news! Monitors COULD BE UPGRADED to support this feature, but AMD warns us: "...this does not guarantee that firmware alone can enable the feature, it does reveal that some scalar/LCD combinations are already sufficiently advanced that they can support some degree of DRR (dynamic refresh rate) and the full DPAS (DisplayPort Adaptive Sync) specification through software changes."
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Card ... nc-Feature

I realize its a long shot but I'll probably be picking up one of these in the coming days so it can't hurt to ask here!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Dec 2014, 08:51

Hmm, I stand corrected, then. thanks.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Dec 2014, 09:06

nvm