Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Emulator performance w/ FreeSync

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.

Emulator performance w/ FreeSync

Postby BlackGuyRX » 12 Jul 2015, 08:47

Anyone knows how well emulators like RetroArch and vanilla MAME & MESS perform with FreeSync? I see stuff all over the net about how wonderful G-Sync is in this feild, but see next to nothing regarding FreeSync.
BlackGuyRX

Re: Emulator performance w/ FreeSync

Postby lexlazootin » 13 Jul 2015, 02:59

It would perform the same as Gsync.
lexlazootin

Postby BlackGuyRX » 13 Jul 2015, 20:53

lexlazootin wrote:It would perform the same as Gsync.

Exactly the same? I've read FreeSync has some issues compared to G-Sync.
BlackGuyRX

Postby Pilaffo » Yesterday, 07:37

BlackGuyRX wrote:

Hi,

for my experience i can confirm that Freesync works, i bought the Asus G245H for a Mame use as far as emulation is concerned.

tested with Mameui Plus 0.168 with Direct3d and with scalers (scale2x, scale3x, hq2x etc.) or with Hlsl and all games between 40hz and 75hz (the variable refresh of the G245H) worked perfectly without stuttering and at their native speed as if they were on the original arcade counterpart
Pilaffo

Postby RealNC » Yesterday, 09:36

BlackGuyRX wrote:

Some monitors have issues, yes, but they shouldn't affect emulation. The issues are sub-par overdrive implementation (causes ghosting), lack of low frame rate compensation (causes VRR to not function at low FPS, usually near 30FPS), and too narrow FreeSync range.

The ghosting doesn't affect emulation for obvious reasons. The lack of LFC would only affect emulation if a game would run at low frame rates. But arcade and retro console games always run at 40+ FPS. Usually 55+. So there should be no issues, as long as the monitor has a wide enough FreeSync range. A supported range of at least 35Hz-80Hz should work fine with any emulated game.

So if you get a monitor with a wide FreeSync range, everything should be fine.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Return to FreeSync