Does enabling freesync on nvidia can have any effect?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
lexebidar

Does enabling freesync on nvidia can have any effect?

Post by lexebidar » 23 Mar 2018, 18:14

Hey!

I've just got LG 24GM79G few day ago and noticed that the option to switch freesync is not greyed out om my gtx 1060.
When I switch it on, the screen switches off and on. Nvidia control panel recognizes that as another monitor and sets colors back to limited.

So even though freesync is obviously not working on nvidia, it does something to the monitor?

edit: And this might be irrelevant but what the heck is "DFC" in lg osd?

lexlazootin

Re: Does enabling freesync on nvidia can have any effect?

Post by lexlazootin » 23 Mar 2018, 22:54

It should really do nothing but the timings probably change and that's why it turns on and off.

The setting probably is just one of those live contrast settings that changes the contrast depending on how dark or light the screen is. It's a manipulative gimmick so they can advertise 100,000,000:1 contrast ratio.
The initial announcement claimed monitors with DFC could achieve a contrast ratio of 1600:1, while later products have been presented as capable of ratios even as high as 2,000,000:1, and there are SAMSUNG LCD TV sets that claim 500,000:1 with LCD monitors claiming 5,000,000:1.
It's a penis measuring contest were no one wins because it's awful feature.

lexebidar

Re: Does enabling freesync on nvidia can have any effect?

Post by lexebidar » 24 Mar 2018, 05:00

oh so it's a dynamic contrast thingy. I never use those because it's always a shitty solution.
Thanbkfully the contrast on this LG is great and really black when set properly. Washes out a bit at 144hz but 120hz is good middle ground.

Anyway - I've tried enabling DFC anyway and found it makes NO effect at all on dark or bright content. Maybe it's because I use 0% brightness.