Samsung Q series TVs

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
lossofmercy

Samsung Q series TVs

Post by lossofmercy » 30 Jul 2018, 14:59

So NVidia is making big headlines by trying to move things to Gsync + HDR with 65" TVs. But it looks like Samsung already has them beat to the punch? Their Q7F, Q8F, and Q9F all have Freesync 2.0, 4k, 120hz, HDR.

What am I missing here? Is the best console gaming experience to have a Xbox One X with a Samsung mainline TV?

lossofmercy

Re: Samsung Q series TVs

Post by lossofmercy » 30 Jul 2018, 16:45

It looks like it's limited from 48-60hz. Does this mean that it will also work for 24 hz content (most movies), 25 hz content (the Grand Tour), and 30hz content (tv shows) and 48hz content (the Hobbit)?

supertoast

Post by supertoast » 31 Jul 2018, 12:30

According to Rtings who have tested Freesync using Xbox One and a Radeon RX GPU the Freesync range for 2018 Samsung TV's is
2160p/4K = 48-60Hz
1080p = 20-120Hz

As it stands officially Xbox only supports Freesync in the range of 40-60Hz which is common with a lot of 4K PC Freesync monitors currently being made.

There is now a VRR section under capabilities in the Xbox store but there are only a handful of titles currently listed as most console games employ frame rate caps. Freesync works even on titles that are not listed as VRR optimized but really your looking at 60fps titles.

On video content I do not know.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Jul 2018, 15:27

lossofmercy wrote:So NVidia is making big headlines by trying to move things to Gsync + HDR with 65" TVs. But it looks like Samsung already has them beat to the punch?
Nobody can beat NVidia to the punch with g-sync, because only NVidia offers g-sync ;) What are you gonna do, buy the Samsung for your NVidia GPU? Freesync isn't supported on NVidia cards.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 07 Aug 2018, 01:50

Funny, but you know exactly what I mean. This is the first proper size TV with VRR.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Aug 2018, 06:00

lossofmercy wrote:Funny, but you know exactly what I mean. This is the first proper size TV with VRR.
Well, not that funny, because even if it's the first proper size TV with VRR, it's useless for g-sync users. It doesn't matter how good it is if VRR doesn't work.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ChiefBigFeather

Post by ChiefBigFeather » 09 Aug 2018, 11:23

RealNC wrote:
lossofmercy wrote:Funny, but you know exactly what I mean. This is the first proper size TV with VRR.
Well, not that funny, because even if it's the first proper size TV with VRR, it's useless for g-sync users. It doesn't matter how good it is if VRR doesn't work.
Yeah, but that‘s an nV BS problem, not a VRR problem. At this point G-Sync is just the name for nVidias (unneccessarily expensive) proprietary implementation of VRR. They could just adopt the open standard with a quick update by their huge driver team, but then they couldn‘t milk their customers premium for what has become standard by now.
So yeah, Samsung beat them to the punch in offering VRR technology.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2018, 21:51

XBOX 1 doesn't support G-SYNC, so that's pretty moot. You're shopping for FreeSync in that case.

Over the long term, the FreeSync range will probably expand with newer revisions of the XBox. We'll just have to hang tight and see if they incrementally improve FreeSync beyond this point.

Also, both sides of the equation needs to focus on expanding the FreeSync range. Samsung is one of the few monitor manufacturers to release firmware upgrades to end users for their gaming monitors. IIRC, FreeSync range expanded with a firmware upgrade of their CHG series. The same could happen to TVs and to XBox itself.

This is not by all means guaranteed, but there is precedent. Samsung went from narrow to wide FreeSync range in a gaming monitor downloadable firmware upgrade -- and Microsoft went from no FreeSync to having FreeSync. It's going to take time, but it's a start. There is certainly room for improvement but mucho (I mean it!) kudos for XB1 becoming VRR compatible, and for Samsung user-firmware upgradeable displays!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 17 Aug 2018, 14:29

I am actually interested in how it handles media content rather than just games. The gaming side of it is important too tho...

But it seems like Xbox One X isn't just plug and play with Freesync? That would be so cool if it just autodetects it.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 05 Oct 2018, 01:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHtXx1JOUpo

Just excited to get this a bit more exposure.