Is there a FreeSync 101 Series of Articles?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Roen

Is there a FreeSync 101 Series of Articles?

Post by Roen » 31 Jan 2019, 15:20

Similar to the G-Sync 101 series, is there one for Freesync with recommended settings?

Thinking of picking up a Radeon VII to go with my CHG90, would love to know how to set it up for minimum input lag conditional on no tearing.

jorimt

Re: Is there a FreeSync 101 Series of Articles?

Post by jorimt » 31 Jan 2019, 15:51

For FreeSync monitors paired w/AMD GPUs, an FPS limit below the refresh rate (-3 or under to stay in the VRR range) and V-SYNC enabled (for 100% tearing prevention) should still apply, giving the least amount of input lag possible without tearing.

FYI, the only main VRR operation differences between G-SYNC and FreeSync, is that every desktop G-SYNC monitor uses a hardware module, has an effective 1 FPS to "x" max refresh rate VRR/LFC (low framerate compensation) range, as well as variable overdrive adjustments (reduced ghosting), whereas FreeSync and FreeSync 2 monitors use software/cable only, don't regularly feature variable overdrive (some earlier models would disable overdrive entirely in VRR mode, and newer models apparently lock overdrive to static max refresh levels in VRR mode, as far as I'm aware), and their VRR range can vary from monitor to monitor model quite a lot, meaning some (depending on their physical refresh range) can support LFC, and some cannot.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)