Is this called ghosting?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
sepiashimmer

Is this called ghosting?

Post by sepiashimmer » 29 Jun 2019, 22:18

I have a Samsung curved monitor which has FreeSync.

I notice this very annoying blackish ghosting(?) around text when I scroll down and up, this is most noticeable around text on Twitter, but it's also there when I play games, especially side-scrolling games.

I set the monitor's refresh rate to be fastest, even then this problem isn't going away. Is this normal or do I change any settings or do I need to buy a new monitor?

Thanks

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Is this called ghosting?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 30 Jun 2019, 10:37

Very likely there is an option called "overdrive" or "response" in monitor OSD. If you change it and see change here: https://www.testufo.com/framerates-text#pps=960&count=1 then it's ghosting.

sepiashimmer

Post by sepiashimmer » 30 Jun 2019, 13:00

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, there is an option called "Response Time" in monitor settings and "Fastest" is the highest option I can select, there is no "overdrive" option.

When I visit the link you suggested, I get this error message: "VSYNC is not available on the Linux platform." But I can see texts scrolling up.

I was going through those tests, in "Chase Motion" test I notice the effect I see when I scroll up and down, as white and blue triangles are moving from left to right, there is a kind of blackish ghost trail behind the white rectangle box and a rusty brown ghost trail behind blue rectangle box.

Do I have to buy a new monitor?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 30 Jun 2019, 15:04

>Yes, there is an option called "Response Time" in monitor settings and "Fastest" is the highest option I can select, there is no "overdrive" option.
Did you try to set another value other than "Fastest"? Did ghosting change after that? If ghosting changed that's called ghosting :)

>Do I have to buy a new monitor?
All Samsung's curved monitors are on VA panels afaik. VA panels are known to have a higher response time than TN. Not sure about IPS.

sepiashimmer

Post by sepiashimmer » 30 Jun 2019, 20:28

Q83Ia7ta wrote:>Yes, there is an option called "Response Time" in monitor settings and "Fastest" is the highest option I can select, there is no "overdrive" option.
Did you try to set another value other than "Fastest"? Did ghosting change after that? If ghosting changed that's called ghosting :)
Setting the response time to standard made it go away.
Q83Ia7ta wrote: >Do I have to buy a new monitor?
All Samsung's curved monitors are on VA panels afaik. VA panels are known to have a higher response time than TN. Not sure about IPS.
What do you think about BenQ monitors, they have eye care mode, flicker mode, do you think they are better than Samsung's? Will they have faster GtG than Samsung's?