Tearing with gsync compatible monitor

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
pep

Tearing with gsync compatible monitor

Post by pep » 25 Jan 2020, 05:53

This is my first message here... so hi everybody.

I'll go straight to the point :D

I recently sold a Dell S2719DGF because it gave me huge eye strain and headaches. Got it for one year and couldn't take it anymore.

Gsync compatible was perfect, 0 tearing with GSYNC on and VSYNC off on Nvidia Control Panel (and vsync off in games too). Superb experience.

I thought the cause of the eye strain was the 27" size display or the TN panel, so a few days ago i purchased a 24" QHD IPS display with max 75hz and freesync, a Philips 245e1s/00 (https://www.displayspecifications.com/es/model/1d8c19a6).

I've been testing gsync for the last couple days and there's a terrible tearing, like on the Dell, i have set GSYNC on and VSYNC off on Nvidia Control Panel. On full screen or borderless there's tearing. On windowed there's no tearing at all.

If i turn vsync on tearing disappears on full screen, borderless or windowed modes.

Does it means that this monitor is not gsync compatibile?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Tearing with gsync compatible monitor

Post by RealNC » 25 Jan 2020, 11:04

The S2719DGF had a range of 40Hz-155Hz, which means LFC was possible (low framerate compensation). This allowed gsync to work down to 1FPS.

The Phillips only supports gsync between 48Hz and 75Hz. So if your FPS goes below 48 or reaches 75, even if it's for split second, there will be tearing if you use vsync off. The narrow range also means LFC is not possible. 47FPS for example cannot be converted to 94Hz (47 * 2), because the max is 75Hz. So anything below 48FPS means g-sync is disabled.

Try capping your FPS to 72FPS and see if it helps. If not, cap to 70FPS. Also make sure your games never go below 48FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

pep

Re: Tearing with gsync compatible monitor

Post by pep » 26 Jan 2020, 05:31

Ok Ill try it, nvidia has implemented a max framerate setting in latest drivers.

Thanks so much.