Pixio PX277 Controller board died, looking for opinions on replacement board options.

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Elabajaba

Pixio PX277 Controller board died, looking for opinions on replacement board options.

Post by Elabajaba » 25 Jan 2020, 22:56

I've got an old out of warranty PX277 v1.0 (2560x1440 144hz IPS M270DAN02.3 panel) from 2016 whose controller board died (no obviously dead caps, tried 2 different power bricks that both work with another monitor), but still has a working panel (tested with the board from a friend's TN XB271HU). I contacted Pixio and they've said they don't have any replacement parts for it in stock, so the way I see it I could either buy a new board from China, or I could buy a cracked screen monitor with a similar panel off ebay. (both options would end up being around $100, so much cheaper than buying a new monitor)

The problem with buying a board from China is there seems to only be 1 publicly available that will work with the M270DAN02.3 panel, and nowhere does it advertise having freesync, or any potential overdrive, and I'd have to wait a month or two for it to arrive.

The problems with buying a cracked screen monitor off ebay with a compatible panel (eg. anything using any of M270DAN02.3/ M270DAN02.6/ M270DTN01.0 /M270DTN01.3 /M270DTN01.5) is that everything that is available to buy is either ridiculously priced, or is using one of the 3 sided bezel-less designs, meaning I'd have to spend some time rigging up a way to attach the board to the panel and mount it. A big question I have is how would overdrive work if eg. I buy an S2719DGF which uses a TN M270DTN01.5, or would adaptive overdrive work if I bought something with a gsync module?

Currently I'm leaning towards buying a cracked screen monitor off ebay since I'm viewing it almost as an upgrade vs potentially losing features by just buying a new board, but I'm wondering what your thoughts on this are, or if there's a potential 3rd option that isn't buying a new monitor or giving up?