couple questions about freesync

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
fowteen

Re: couple questions about freesync

Post by fowteen » 20 Mar 2020, 10:35

so overdriving response time on any monitor will cause pixel overshooting? And does the overshooting effect vary from monitor to monitor, also do you have any images on here of examples of overshooting on the same monitor at different overdrive levels?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 20 Mar 2020, 11:15

fowteen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 10:35
so overdriving response time on any monitor will cause pixel overshooting?
At the higher, more aggressive overdrive presets, yes. Again, this can usually be avoided by choosing the medium/middle overdrive preset instead.
fowteen wrote:
And does the overshooting effect vary from monitor to monitor
Yes, overdrive artifacts vary from monitor to monitor model.
fowteen wrote:
also do you have any images on here of examples of overshooting on the same monitor at different overdrive levels?
Monitor review sites usually have pursuit images showing different overdrive presets:

- https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
- https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/
- https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 20 Mar 2020, 11:31

thanks so much for the help the past few days I think I will leave you alone now and do some research by my self :D

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 20 Mar 2020, 11:38

fowteen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 11:31
thanks so much for the help the past few days I think I will leave you alone now and do some research by my self :D
Not a problem @fowteen, good luck!

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 20 Mar 2020, 21:13

do you think csgo is one of the only games you wouldn't use gsync in since it can run at a very high average fps where screen tearing would be hard to see and the input lag decrease in a game like this where only aim matters would help a lot? I mostly play high action games like fortnite,overwatch etc where you have to look around a lot so using freesync/gsync will help with identifying enemies with no screen tearing. So is the general consensus that games that run at framerates close to your max refresh rate would benefit from adaptive sync but games like csgo (I am not sure about other game examples, would like to hear if you know any other games where gsync is not preffered) which run at framerates hundreds above 240hz monitor's prefer no gsync?

Also is lfc universal (for both gsync and freesync). What I mean by that is if I buy a freesync premium monitor which has lfc and the monitor is also compatible with gsync, will the lfc work with gsync also?
I was also looking at monitors and noticed that in this monitor's specs for example https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/g2590fx it says it has lfc (freesync premium) which is fine but for other monitors like this one https://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-24GL600F-B it doesn't state it has freesync premium but has in brackets freesync (low frame rate compensation) and in a video review from hardware unboxed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0CPKWN6vE he mentioned at 3:55 its vrr is 48-144 which means it gets lfc so does this mean that all monitor's with vrr of 48-144 have lfc?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Mar 2020, 08:52

fowteen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:13
do you think csgo is one of the only games you wouldn't use gsync in since it can run at a very high average fps where screen tearing would be hard to see and the input lag decrease in a game like this where only aim matters would help a lot? I mostly play high action games like fortnite,overwatch etc where you have to look around a lot so using freesync/gsync will help with identifying enemies with no screen tearing. So is the general consensus that games that run at framerates close to your max refresh rate would benefit from adaptive sync but games like csgo (I am not sure about other game examples, would like to hear if you know any other games where gsync is not preffered) which run at framerates hundreds above 240hz monitor's prefer no gsync?
Due to the direct decrease in input lag at 144Hz refresh rates onward? While possible, I doubt the input lag difference would be the only factor to make the difference, as at crosshair level, we're only talking about a 1-3ms decrease with uncapped 300 FPS CSGO vs. properly configured G-SYNC @144Hz.

And for 240Hz refresh rates, the difference is even smaller, at <1ms:

The bigger difference lies in overall "feel" between the two scenarios, as they deliver frames differently. It could actually be argued, that, theoretically, G-SYNC is superior for competitive games, as if you properly configure it, you'll have a constant, reliable FPS, with perfect frame pacing, and a consistent level of input lag that never changes, and thus more consistent, predictable aiming.

But if you're used to uncapped V-SYNC OFF, you may be so conditioned to it (and the fact that, no matter how slight at higher refresh rates, you are getting some visual information more quickly, even if said information is inconsistent), that the aforementioned benefits of G-SYNC are moot.

There really is no one "right" answer for this. It's highly subjective, and you should ultimately try both and find out what you perform best with.
fowteen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:13
Also is lfc universal (for both gsync and freesync). What I mean by that is if I buy a freesync premium monitor which has lfc and the monitor is also compatible with gsync, will the lfc work with gsync also?
Long story short, if the FreeSync monitor in question is labelled "G-SYNC Compatible," LFC should be supported. If the FreeSync monitor in question does not have that label, depending on the model and VRR range, it very well could have driver-side LFC support, but you're not guaranteed anything, and would simply have to take a gamble and try it.

Again, FreeSync monitors that aren't officially G-SYNC Compatible may or may not have other issues in G-SYNC mode as well.

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 21 Mar 2020, 10:10

Do you know of any monitor websites which collect prices of all the different monitors available so they are accessible in one place similar to pcpartpicker because their monitor section does not seem to use a lot of website

when lfc is in effect is the input lag the same as vsync and gsync off because I heard it is much lower
Last edited by fowteen on 21 Mar 2020, 11:38, edited 2 times in total.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Mar 2020, 11:37

fowteen wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 10:10
Do you know of any monitor websites which collect prices of all the different monitors available so they are accessible in one place similar to pcpartpicker because their monitor section does not seem to use a lot of website and when lfc is in effect is the input lag the same as vsync and gsync off because I heard it is much lower
Not off the top of my head. If you're looking for something highly specific way, I don't know personally of any other way but full-on manual research. That said, others here may have more suggestions or recommendations. Feel free to start a new thread asking about monitor recommendations based on your requirements.

As for LFC, no; typically it has no impact on input lag one way or the other in this respect. Should be about the same as G-SYNC off + V-SYNC off at that range, but without the tearing or uneven frame pacing.

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 21 Mar 2020, 11:39

I have also read that most 144hz monitor's have lfc so is this true or does it only depend on the vrr if the minimum vrr doubled is lower than the max refresh rate?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Mar 2020, 12:52

fowteen wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 11:39
I have also read that most 144hz monitor's have lfc so is this true or does it only depend on the vrr if the minimum vrr doubled is lower than the max refresh rate?
For G-SYNC, FreeSync, and officially "G-SYNC Compatible" 144Hz FreeSync monitors, yes. For unofficial G-SYNC Compatible 144Hz FreeSync monitors, I can't say for certain if there hasn't been an instance where LCF or VRR doesn't fully/properly work on an Nvidia GPU in that mode.

As for your other question, the general rule is if the minimum reported refresh rate can't be doubled within the max refresh rate, LFC typically won't work/isn't supported (e.g. 40-75Hz VRR range; 40 x2 = 80, etc.)