Do any current laptops support either G-Sync or FreeSync?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
sunetos

Do any current laptops support either G-Sync or FreeSync?

Post by sunetos » 26 Apr 2014, 11:55

I have searched far and wide, and I cannot find an answer (which probably means the answer is "no").

I am about to spend a couple of months in and out of the hospital, so I am considering buying a gaming laptop to occupy my time. However, even the best laptops seem to struggle to maintain 60fps on recent games, and framerate/smoothness is very important to me (which is why I lurk on blurbusters).

I suspect some form of VRR (variable refresh rate) would be enough to satiate me, but it does not appear that any of the recent GTX880M laptops include G-Sync capable displays (some may support it through the Displayport to an external G-Sync monitor, but that does not help me). I keep finding sporadic mentions of "some laptops" supporting VBLANK for FreeSync, but I cannot seem to track down specific models.

Does anyone know if there is a laptop currently on the market that fully supports either type of VRR on the builtin display?

Trip

Re: Do any current laptops support either G-Sync or FreeSync

Post by Trip » 26 Apr 2014, 13:28

I really dont think there is any model of monitor capable of doing gsync/freesync except for the asus 248qe which you have to modify yourself. The technology is brand new, so your are kind of out of luck I think. The best you could do is find a laptop with a high refresh rate. I believe some laptops are capable of 120hz out of the box. With 120hz a missed frame render time is less expensive with vsync on since, if you run at 60 fps the next frame will at least be running at 40 fps since 120 is divisable by 40. This does not solve it completely but it is the best you can do right now in a portable situation.

sunetos

Post by sunetos » 27 Apr 2014, 16:27

Thanks! The 120hz is a great idea; alternating between 40 and 60 fps might be tolerable. I should be able to guarantee 120hz by getting one that claims to support 3D, I imagine.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 27 Apr 2014, 17:19

sunetos wrote:Thanks! The 120hz is a great idea; alternating between 40 and 60 fps might be tolerable. I should be able to guarantee 120hz by getting one that claims to support 3D, I imagine.
Some do polarized 3D like the movie theaters. These don't use 120hz. It is basically just 2 simultaneous images at half resolution.

Trip

Post by Trip » 28 Apr 2014, 08:44

Indeed when you see the 3d tag try to do a bit more research or you might end up with a polarized 3d display which has a max of 60hz usually. I almost fell for that when I bought my monitor, the lg w2363d had two models the first model had 120hz but the second model had a polarized 3d screen.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2014, 10:29

There are some LightBoost-capable laptops such as the Toshiba QOSIMO X875. They do 120Hz native.

You can get the zero-motion-blur strobe effect, by launching a game and hitting Control+T (3D emitter method of LightBoost 2D, because shutter glasses emitter is built into the laptop bezel). If you're looking for something resembling CRT-clarity motion in a laptop LCD panel, it's currently hard to beat the Qosimo 120Hz laptops. The only problem is laptop GPUs often don't run at 120fps@120Hz necessary to maintain a good CRT-like effect, but it works in Source Engine games at reduced detail/resolutions with AA turned off.

At the moment, I haven't seen any "better than 60Hz" laptops on the retail market that outperforms the QOSIMO X870 series.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!