New monitor IPS VRR, with 75fps minimums

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
ballzley

New monitor IPS VRR, with 75fps minimums

Post by ballzley » 04 Jul 2020, 03:25

Hey BB,

I just got done with my G-Sync build's monitor, but now need to look into a FreeSync monitor for an AMD build that hits ~75fps minimum in its games. Can you recommend some 1080p IPS VRR FreeSync monitors best for supporting 75-200fps range? Games are mostly FPS and other shooters. We are very excited to have our first VRR monitors.

I have read the G-sync 101 articles and various posts here in FreeSync, and assume the same G-sync 101 rules apply to FreeSync (-2fps limit below max hz of monitor in-game or in RTSS [-3fps cap]; V-sync enabled in Radeon control center; V-sync disabled in-game; monitor FreeSync on)

:)

edit: I ended up grabbing the Dell aw2521hfl
Last edited by ballzley on 05 Jul 2020, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

jorimt

Re: New monitor IPS VRR, with 75fps minimums

Post by jorimt » 04 Jul 2020, 08:25

ballzley wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 03:25
I have read the G-sync 101 articles and various posts here in FreeSync, and assume the same G-sync 101 rules apply to FreeSync (-2fps limit below max hz of monitor in-game or in RTSS [-3fps cap]; V-sync enabled in Radeon control center; V-sync disabled in-game; monitor FreeSync on)
My recommendation is actually a minimum of -3 FPS for both in-game and external limiters across the board. As for AMD FreeSync specifically, since the AMD CP V-SYNC option is only known to work mostly for OpenGL games (to my knowledge), you'd instead want to filp the G-SYNC recommendation, and use AMD CP V-SYNC off + in-game V-SYNC on.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ballzley

Re: New monitor IPS VRR, with 75fps minimums

Post by ballzley » 05 Jul 2020, 21:45

My recommendation is actually a minimum of -3 FPS for both in-game and external limiters across the board. As for AMD FreeSync specifically, since the AMD CP V-SYNC option is only known to work mostly for OpenGL games (to my knowledge), you'd instead want to filp the G-SYNC recommendation, and use AMD CP V-SYNC off + in-game V-SYNC on.
Hi jorimt! glad to have you chime in on method. Will do V-Sync on in-game. If in-game has an FPS limiter already, should I still use RTSS external program to limit FPS too?