Enable Freesync on BENQ G2220HD DVI-D

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
denexter3

Enable Freesync on BENQ G2220HD DVI-D

Post by denexter3 » 23 Nov 2020, 08:02

Freesync option is greyed out in AMD Radeon panel.

So I already did some configuration in CRU:

It should be noted that CEA-861 wasn't present in extension blocks, I had to add it manually, just like all of its data blocks.

I'm using HDMI to DVI-D adapter, which makes it possible to use 85 hz without pixel clock patch, but I installed the patch anyways.
I also edited my Display Properties, increased the limit, included everything and changed all the names and ID's to random gibberish.

EDIT: Without HDMI to DVI-D adapter, changing all monitor profiles (not just the active), and replugging my monitor afterwards I was able to enable Freesync on my monitor.
With one flaw.
It was completely black, no image whatsoever.
I had to plug in the adapter to get my display to work, but that disables Freesync.
AMD left a notification that Freesync worked, that's how I know it (kinda) worked.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Enable Freesync on BENQ G2220HD DVI-D

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2020, 12:56

A few people were able to get FreeSync working on DVI-D, but it's very hit and miss. Not all adaptors work and, in theory can force FreeSync on a DVI-D to DVI-D since FreeSync is port-agnostic (FreeSync works on CRTs too!). For those familiar with blanking intervals -- VRR video signal topology is just simply a dynamic continuously-changing vertical total (resizeable VBI between refresh cycles to vary the time interval between the starts of refresh cycle scanouts).

The most common weak links preventing FreeSync from working is:
- Missing FreeSync extension block data (fixable via ToastyX)
- Display never designed to tolerate varying refresh rates
- Drivers having an arbitrary prevention on a non-HDMI non-DP port despite an overridden EDID
- Adaptors that fail to pass through a varying refresh rate signal

For the analog case, one needs to output HDMI and use HDMI-to-VGA adaptors that are 1:1 dotclock.

It takes lots of trial and error (cherrypicked VGA and DVI displays, combined with cherrypicked adaptors) to find a combination with successfully working uncertified and hitherto untested VRR.

Interesting to note, among the oldest known displays that "accidentally" works with FreeSync are roughly 1980s or 1990s "MultiSync" CRTs -- long before "variable refresh rate synchronized to frame rates" was conceptualized. Some CRT's tolerate a variable blanking interval by accidental design of robustness (of their multisync circuitry).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!