Enabling Freesync on an OLED that does not feature VRR possible?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
RealestLad

Enabling Freesync on an OLED that does not feature VRR possible?

Post by RealestLad » 30 Nov 2020, 21:56

Is it possible to enable Freesync on a non-VRR OLED without breaking anything? I am looking at getting a spare whole display of the Tab S7+ because it is an oled (super amoled), 120hz, not too big like the LG CX, and is glossy. The high refresh monitor market is a disaster and there are not any that have actually amazing LED panels like one of those Samsung QD TVs. And also there are no OLED monitors that fit what I want/need except for LG CX but it is too big and ppi is not good.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Enabling Freesync on an OLED that does not feature VRR possible?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Dec 2020, 01:16

Unfortunately, it would be difficult without a custom FPGA circuit board plus some advanced programming, in order to enable VRR.

So you likely have to go without VRR, assuming you find an adaptor method. The format of the interface for the Tab S7+ might not be in a compatible format (DisplayPort, HDMI), possibly using a direct interface (LVDS) to the scaler/TCON. Do you have any experience with this, or have you already pre-verified a way to adaptor it to HDMI/DP?

Another method is Virtual Desktopping at 120fps+ which is possible with some software, although sync/lag/compression/4:2:2 can be an issue.

The 48 inch LG CX is actually not bad of a size, if you put it at the very rear of a desk (3-4 feet viewing distance). I know many computer users using LG C9 and LG CX's as desktop computer monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!