Freesync Duplicating Frame 3 Times Every 2/3 Second

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
LegitBoss002

Freesync Duplicating Frame 3 Times Every 2/3 Second

Post by LegitBoss002 » 02 Dec 2020, 19:03

When playing Rocket League with freesync there is a set of 3 identical frames every 165 frames or so. This causes the game to have a consistent stutter or frame hang every 2/3 seconds or so.

The monitor is an Odyssey G7 at 240hz. The firmware is version 1009.3 and VRR Control is on. The issue is persistent between monitors.

I recorded at 240fps on my phone showcasing the issue. I used Adobe Premiere to track which frames were causing problems, and it occurs at the following moments in the video (I'd love to attach the video but am unsure how):

[Second:Frame]
5:23, 5:24 & 5:25
10:11, 10:12, & 10:13
15:24, 15:25, & 15:26
21:01, 21:02, & 21:03
26:24, 26:25, & 26:26

This issue is causing an undesirable experience and I believe the cause is Freesync. I would love a technical explanation and if a work around is available I'm willing to try it.

I have tried disconnecting my other displays, swapping from fullscreen to borderless, disabling freesync (which leads to a teary, unplayable mess) and disabling VRR on the monitor. I'm also running the latest Radeon drivers on my Vega 64.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Freesync Duplicating Frame 3 Times Every 2/3 Second

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2020, 00:34

LegitBoss002 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 19:03
I recorded at 240fps on my phone showcasing the issue. I used Adobe Premiere to track which frames were causing problems, and it occurs at the following moments in the video (I'd love to attach the video but am unsure how):
Unlisted Video on YouTube.
1. Log onto YouTube using one of your existing gmail accounts
2. Upload the video
3. Configure video to unlisted (nobody will see it when searching YouTube or Google)
4. Post the link here; only people who click the link you post, will ever see the video.

It's dirt easy, as easy as gmail or imgur. You click the camera icon at the top with the "+".
youtube-uploader.png
youtube-uploader.png (87.42 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

thatoneguy

Re: Freesync Duplicating Frame 3 Times Every 2/3 Second

Post by thatoneguy » 04 Dec 2020, 11:38

As an alternative to youtube(because not everybody wants to go through the process of making an account if they don't have one) you can use a site like catbox.moe
Allows up to 200MB files
Or litterbox.catbox.moe which hosts temporary uploads(expiration ranges from 1 hours to 3 days as per your choosing) upto 1 GB

One of the upsides is obv. that you don't suffer from youtube compression that happens even at the highest quality settings.
Also, I believe you can directly upload 240fps videos unlike in youtube where you have to deconvert them to 60fps(AFAIK) but don't quote me on that.