My optimal FreeSync configuration with Radeon cards

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Aldagar

My optimal FreeSync configuration with Radeon cards

Post by Aldagar » 19 Jan 2021, 18:19

DISCLAIMER: These settings are based on my usage and testing and are meant to work reliably and universally, following the recommendations from the G-SYNC 101 article by jorimt. I always play with a frame rate limiter (normally set to 60 or 120 fps) because I prefer stable frame pacing with minimal latency, which is what Variable Refresh Refresh rate + an fps cap allow. I play a wide variety of games, both single and multiplayer, but not competitively.

Relevant specifications:
  • GPU: Radeon RX Vega 56 with latest stable drivers (20.11.2)
  • Monitor: currently using a BenQ EX2510, but also tried with an LG 27GL850 and an Acer XV272UP.
  1. General settings
    FreeSync/Adaptive Sync should be enabled in both Radeon settings and the monitor's OSD if the monitor have the option (some monitors, like my BenQ, just have it enabled by default). In Windows 10, there's also a toggle under Display settings -> Graphics settings -> Variable refresh rate, which improves compatibility with Windows Store games.
  2. V-Sync
    Since every game uses its own implementation, I always turn it off to avoid issues. In games that have forced V-Sync on, you can try to disable it in the configuration files. Instead, in Radeon settings, enable Enhanced Sync (an uncapped triple buffering method similar to Nvidia's Fast Sync for DirectX and Vulkan applications), and Wait for Vertical Refresh (standard double buffering V-Sync for OpenGL applications). This will allow smooth FreeSync operation while preventing tearing.
  3. Screen mode
    Fullscreen should always be used since it gives the control of the display to the game and avoids interference with Windows desktop. However, there are some games that force the monitor to 60Hz, which makes it work like a traditional display with V-Sync on (some examples are Skyrim, Metro 2033, the Dark Souls series and Sekiro). In these cases, you can use borderless windowed so that the monitor works at its native refresh rate with FreeSync operation. In games that don't offer that option, you can use windowed mode with Codeusa's Borderless Gaming.
  4. Frame rate limiter
    In-game fps caps are usually the best option, offering good frame pacing with minimal input lag, although it can vary. The main reason to use the in-game cap is that some games have issues with external frame rate limiting tools, causing heavy stuttering (the worst offender I found was Assassin's Creed Origins). If a game doesn't offer an internal fps cap or you can't customize it to your tastes I recommend using Radeon Chill, AMD's own tool found in Radeon settings, which achieves very low latency and stable frame times (it honestly is really good). An alternative is RTSS, which also achieves smooth frame pacing but with slightly higher latency.
  5. Some warnings
    I sometimes get heavy stuttering when playing video on my secondary monitor, but it doesn't happen while displaying static content, so I think that's something to take into account. I would advise to use FreeSync with a single monitor to ensure correct operation.

Similarly, I noticed monitoring overlays like MSI Afterburner or the one included with AMD drivers can cause heavy stuttering in some games, but it goes away when closing the overlay.

I also recommend using a VESA certified DisplayPort cable to avoid issues. I had a BenQ monitor that would randomly lose the signal with a cheap cable.
I hope this post is helpful. I tried to be as clear and concise as possible. If you have any doubt or suggestion or you think I missed something, please feel free to leave a comment.
Last edited by Aldagar on 03 Feb 2021, 21:00, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: My optimal FreeSync configuration with Radeon cards

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2021, 03:09

Thanks for posting this -- this is very much appreciated!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!