Optimal settings for ~30fps games on Gigabyte M27Q

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
xenphor

Optimal settings for ~30fps games on Gigabyte M27Q

Post by xenphor » 21 Jan 2021, 20:51

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to improve the double image/strobing effect (at least I think that's what I'm noticing) when using a high refresh display with Freesync (Gigabyte M27Q). My monitor goes up to 170hz and has a Freesync range of 48-170.

There are some games I play that are locked to 30fps, mostly console ports like Nights into Dreams or Jet Set Radio. I've noticed, especially in Nights (30fps, has lots of scrolling) a double image effect that is distracting when using Freesync at 120hz+. I don't believe I noticed this effect on my older fixed 60hz monitor. I tried setting my new display (M27Q) to 60hz, but that introduced stuttering instead. It looked like Freesync wasn't working properly because the monitor's frame rate counter was erratic.

60 fps content at 120hz+ is not too bad, but I'm guessing the double image effect is still there, just less pronounced?

Is there a way to get my monitor to use Freesync properly at 60hz, or will it only work well at 120hz+? Would that even fix the issue?

Thanks.

edit: I think I misunderstood what the double image effect was since it only applies to strobing displays. What I'm noticing is probably the result of viewing low frame rate content on a budget LCD display vs. a more expensive one.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Optimal settings for ~30fps games on Gigabyte M27Q

Post by RealNC » 23 Jan 2021, 14:59

If the game has a motion blur setting, use that. It helps a lot. This is actually the main reason why games add camera motion blur. To make 30FPS look more acceptable. Other than that, I'm afraid that's how 30FPS looks like. And it has pretty much nothing to do with whether you're using an expensive monitor or not.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 23 Jan 2021, 16:52

RealNC wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 14:59
If the game has a motion blur setting, use that. It helps a lot. This is actually the main reason why games add camera motion blur. To make 30FPS look more acceptable. Other than that, I'm afraid that's how 30FPS looks like. And it has pretty much nothing to do with whether you're using an expensive monitor or not.
But wouldn't cheaper displays with slower pixel response times create a blurring effect on their own? I thought that's why I didn't notice the "frameiness" of 30fps or lower frame rates before.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Jan 2021, 15:08

xenphor wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 16:52
But wouldn't cheaper displays with slower pixel response times create a blurring effect on their own? I thought that's why I didn't notice the "frameiness" of 30fps or lower frame rates before.
Not sure. It always looked "framy" to me in every display.

As for the blurring effect, the monitor can't create pixels that connect the previous frame with the new one. Only an actual camera motion blur effect can do that. It will insert pixels between the two frame steps to trick your eyes/brain into thinking that there were more frames there and hide the "framiness" of low FPS.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 26 Jan 2021, 17:01

RealNC wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 15:08
Not sure. It always looked "framy" to me in every display.

As for the blurring effect, the monitor can't create pixels that connect the previous frame with the new one. Only an actual camera motion blur effect can do that. It will insert pixels between the two frame steps to trick your eyes/brain into thinking that there were more frames there and hide the "framiness" of low FPS.
I think it could be that this display is 27" whereas my old one was 23" and I sit about the same distance away, so that isn't helping my perception low frame rates. I've tried playing low fps games in a smaller 1:1 window; however, my monitor is not able to do that with Freesync enabled, so I have to use GPU scaling instead. Do you know if there are any issues using GPU scaling instead of Display scaling? Does it add more latency or cause problems with Freesync? I have a 1050 ti if that matters.
Last edited by xenphor on 26 Jan 2021, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Jan 2021, 20:59

xenphor wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 17:01
Do you know if there are any issues using GPU scaling instead of Display scaling? Does it add more latency or cause problems with Freesync? I have a 1050 ti if that matters.
I don't know. You can also ask the other way around though: does display scaling add more latency compared to GPU scaling? ;)