Does Freesync work on Windows 7 with Radeon graphics cards?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
xenphor

Does Freesync work on Windows 7 with Radeon graphics cards?

Post by xenphor » 06 Apr 2021, 21:14

I know Nvidia limited Freesync on their cards to Windows 10 but I can't really find much about AMD. I saw a post that said WDDM 2.0 is required for Freesync to work which is only available on Windows 10. I currently only have Nvidia cards but would be interested in getting an AMD card to have Windows 7 Freesync support.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Does Freesync work on Windows 7 with Radeon graphics cards?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2021, 11:15

There are some ways to trick FreeSync to work under Windows 7, but information is very limited — for example, this YouTube video:

phpBB [video]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xenphor

Re: Does Freesync work on Windows 7 with Radeon graphics cards?

Post by xenphor » 09 Apr 2021, 12:25

After watching the video and looking at the description, that driver is meant to increase the refresh rate to 144Hz from 90Hz, not to address Freesync working in Windows 7. It also doesn't mention what video card is being used.

"My easy to use guide will show you how to unlock the 90hz cap on the Asus MG279Q monitor so that FreeSync can run up to 144Hz. This fix allows smoother gamplay and the full potential of your monitor.

I bought one of these monitors and was a bit cheesed off that it only did 90hz on FreeSync and it was a 144hz one as well. So most of the time i set it to 90hz only which was a waste. This unlock fix removes the 90hz cap. By altering the monitors driver it allows a complete unlock with no issues at all."

From that info it seems like Freesync was working before the modified driver, at least in a limited fashion. It seems like an easy thing somebody could test so I'm surprised it's hard to find info about it. I would get an AMD card to try myself if the prices weren't so insane right now. I don't use Windows 7 that much but the added functionality would be nice.