Some questions and thoughts about competitive FreeSync settings on League of Legends

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
mouse

Some questions and thoughts about competitive FreeSync settings on League of Legends

Post by mouse » 20 May 2021, 15:05

So, I play a game called League of Legends competitively. When you think about competitive, games like CS:GO come to mind, in which even capping your FPS isn't really advised (in a competitive setting) since you can get to over 500 FPS easily in that game.

However, League is different. It's not like any other competitive game in many ways (ancient coding and stuff like that). For starters: Pros play on 240Hz monitors, and all of them cap their FPS to some number. Most of them cap it to 144 (!) because the game simply looks smoother and less teary on low FPS.

They all use the in-engine FPS cap. It has no custom caps (!) and introduce the same amount of input lag RTSS does (!!!), and MORE input lag than AMD's Chill (!!!!!). Additionally, you can't use the in-engine FPS cap and VSync at the same time. If you try to use both, the FPS cap simply doesn't work and only VSync works, so if you decide to use FreeSync + VSync ON on that game, you'll have to use an external FPS cap so you don't get VSync ON input lag, which shouldn't be a problem in that case, since the in-engine cap actually introduces RTSS-like input lag for some reason. lol

So... Odd game, right? With those things in mind, I'd like to ask you guys some questions. First: in this case exceptionally, do I get less input lag by going FreeSync ON + in-engine Vsync ON + Chill capped to 237 instead of FreeSync OFF + VSync OFF + in-engine capped to 144/240? While also having the advantages of FreeSync and having the same (or even lower) input lag?

If not, I'd like you guys to explain me why if possible, because even if I made my own research and tests, you (Chief and jorimt at least) seem to have lots of knowledge to share when it comes to adaptive sync. Thanks.