Looking for a good freesync monitor

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
MisterCRT

Looking for a good freesync monitor

Post by MisterCRT » 23 Jul 2021, 16:05

Hey, I need some help choosing a really good freesync monitor, needs to be 27 or higher. 1440p.

Currently looking at AORUS-FI27Q OR the viewsonic elite XG270QC
Which one should I go for ? I want one with a really good backlight strobing, one top tier blur busters worthy. Thanks..

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a good freesync monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jul 2021, 18:25

MisterCRT wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 16:05
Hey, I need some help choosing a really good freesync monitor, needs to be 27 or higher. 1440p.

Currently looking at AORUS-FI27Q OR the viewsonic elite XG270QC
Which one should I go for ? I want one with a really good backlight strobing, one top tier blur busters worthy. Thanks.
A lot of 1440p high-Hz panels are currently using slow red KSF phosphor. So while both of those two displays are great and fantastic color, I'd probably prefer to run those two displays in non-strobed mode at the moment -- and in that case, VRR becomes the go-to option as the stutter-eraser here.

The other (emerging) alternative is to reduce motion blur strobelessly (getting closer to CRT motion clarity via sample-and-hold), but to do that requires brute refresh rates (e.g. 240Hz, 360Hz, 390Hz), since doubling Hz and framer rate halves display motion blur, so you want really high Hz and really high framerate to reduce motion blur strobelessly.

However, if you're hell bent on 27" at least 1440p, the best-strobed-tuned slow-KSF panel is currently the Eve Spectrum 144 which I have worked on. Currently, you will get far better strobe quality on this panel than any of the NanoIPS 1440p panels at the moment, despite the KSF phosphor (which is worse than CRT, but better than plasma in motion handling).

There are other 1440p Blur Busters strobe-tuned panels coming (mainly KSF), but it may not be for a while. They may not be the full gold "Blur Busters Approved", but they will at least be "Tuned by Blur Busters"
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MisterCRT

Post by MisterCRT » 24 Jul 2021, 07:07

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately it is really hard to find Eve Spectrum 144 ..

What about the samsung g7 odyssey AND MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

Which one is best using a 6800xt ? I play alot of warzone so I want the best advantage possible, input lag, performance, speed, backlight strobing etc

AORUS-FI27Q
XG270QC
MAG274QRF-QD
samsung g7

I can aqquire these monitors where I live

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jul 2021, 23:32

MisterCRT wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 07:07
Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately it is really hard to find Eve Spectrum 144 ..

What about the samsung g7 odyssey AND MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

Which one is best using a 6800xt ? I play alot of warzone so I want the best advantage possible, input lag, performance, speed, backlight strobing etc

AORUS-FI27Q
XG270QC
MAG274QRF-QD
samsung g7

I can aqquire these monitors where I live
With your nickname (MisterCRT), I suspect you consider strobing very high priority -- which means you will be dissapointed with the motion blur of a VA LCD (such as Samsung G7). Stay far away from VA LCDs because they cannot squeeze LCD GtG in the vertical blanking interval between refresh cycles;

I am more familiar with the CRT-quality strobing as a ViewSonic XG2431, BenQ XL2411P, BenQ XL2546, ViewSonic XG270, etc.

But I want to say (from RTINGS pursuit photo) I was VERY impressed at how good the strobing on MAG274QRF-QD was -- at least in screen centre. Being a Quantum Dot backlight, it doesn't have the slow KSF red phosphor. And it's zero crosstalk in screen middle. And if you use a bit of refresh rate headroom + large VT, it reportedly gets better strobing at 120Hz. Be noted you can't strobe below about 120Hz on the MAG274QRF-QD, but you will at least get recognizably CRT-quality motion at framerate=Hz at 120Hz.

If strobing is important for you, and I absolutely had no choice but those 4 models, then I'd get the MAG274QRF-QD for the CRT-clarity strobing feature (in the 120-165Hz range). That's a narrow CRT-mode range unlike the upcoming XG2431 (59-240), but since you say, your choices are limited, I'd do 120Hz strobing (since refresh rate headroom improves strobe quality)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MisterCRT

Post by MisterCRT » 03 Aug 2021, 16:49

Hey, sorry for the late answer! So im thinking to go and get the msi quantum dot 27, but then today they put a expensive monitor on a discount. How is this monitor ? 27-nitro-xz3-gaming-monitor-xz273u-

its around 650usd, but I can get it for 400. Worth it ? or shall I just go with quantum dot for a higher price ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Aug 2021, 22:26

MisterCRT wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 16:49
Hey, sorry for the late answer! So im thinking to go and get the msi quantum dot 27, but then today they put a expensive monitor on a discount. How is this monitor ? 27-nitro-xz3-gaming-monitor-xz273u-

its around 650usd, but I can get it for 400. Worth it ? or shall I just go with quantum dot for a higher price ?
I have no knowledge of that model, but beware if it's KSF phosphor (www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor). It's not too bad if well-tuned (like Spectrum 4K144)