AOC 24G2 24 inch monitor "screen tearing"

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
brownieland

AOC 24G2 24 inch monitor "screen tearing"

Post by brownieland » 28 Aug 2021, 22:40

hello, im new in this community and i gotta say all this monitor stuff is interesting, and very overwhelming at the same time, this is my first gaming monitor ever and im fascinated by it, but im also having some issues adjusting from a 60hz to a 144hz.

now ive noticed some "issues".
I have a gtx 980 gpu reference edition, and apparently this monitor has "gsync compatible" but not with the 900 series gpus or so ive been told, because when i check the nvidia control panel i dont see the gsync option in there at all, and im currently using a displayport brand VCOM.

the issues ive noticed are "screen tearing" while gaming, specificly games that are capped at 60ish frames like dead by daylight its capped at 62fps for some reason by the game itself, and while you can modify the settings in an ini file, its not advised since its "designed" to be played like that by the devs, if you try to modify that theres a chance of getting banned from the game (logic am i right?)

but i also noticed a bit of screen tearing on psychonauts 2 on gamepass pc, and that game is around 100/110fps depending on the area might be higher or a bit lower but never under 60.

also i noticed that when im scrolling down or up on youtube comments or just on the youtube videos i see some kind of *tearing* but im unsure if this is actually screen tearing it just gives me a vibe of it, its very minimal but noticeable thats why im having a hard time figuring it out.
if a bad screen tearing would be a 10 out of 10, my experience is being a 3 out of 10 maybe.

now the question being, what can i do? what should i change on my nvidia control panel settings, on my monitor settings, should i disable freesync on the monitor? etc

my monitor is AOC 24G2 24 inch BOE panel

if theres any other info that you guys need from me do let me know. :D
im sorry for the long post but i hope this gives a better understanding of what im experiencing and perhaps i can get a solution to this.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: AOC 24G2 24 inch monitor "screen tearing"

Post by RealNC » 29 Aug 2021, 04:06

If you don't want tearing, use vsync. This adds lag though. G-sync would be the best way to deal with it, but unfortunately you would need a native g-sync monitor for this GPU. FreeSync monitors that are "g-sync compatible" don't work with it.

To reduce vsync lag, you can try frame capping as explained here:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-t ... st-5380262

For 60FPS games, you'd need to use 1/2 vsync in nvidia profile inspector, set the monitor to 120Hz and then do the above but cap to half of the true refresh rate.

It's all very fiddly and annoying, but you get used to it :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Aug 2021, 01:03

brownieland wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 22:34
heres an example of what im actually having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXeHVYJHn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUwPF1XxTk
There is no tearing anywhere in those videos. I even went through them one single frame at a time. No tearing.

If those videos are tearing for you, then that can mean you have forced vsync OFF in the nvidia control panel? Don't do that.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

brownieland

Post by brownieland » 31 Aug 2021, 12:17

what is that im seeing on my end then? and nope i have vsync on, theres just some kind of vibration when scrolling down or up over comments or text when gpu is under load, could it be that im just sensitive to it ? thanks for your time btw.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Aug 2021, 14:33

brownieland wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 12:17
what is that im seeing on my end then? and nope i have vsync on, theres just some kind of vibration when scrolling down or up over comments or text when gpu is under load, could it be that im just sensitive to it ? thanks for your time btw.
That's good old stutter :P Browsers use the GPU. So when the GPU is under load, scrolling can stutter.

brownieland

Post by brownieland » 31 Aug 2021, 17:28

i had no idea of this LOL, specially cause on my old 18inch 60 hz monitor it never happend, but i guess things are different on a 144hz 24 monitor, more detailed i guess, thank you for your time on answering my doubts btw. :D