Budget FreeSync Monitor for someone with Migraines?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
chronicxhippie

Post by chronicxhippie » 18 Oct 2021, 11:09

Hi! Saw a lot of recommendations for this site on Reddit and BOY, there’s so much to learn here that I’m almost a little overwhelmed, so I’m hoping someone can help me out. I have chronic migraine and I want to be sure that I make a smart purchase.

I recently finished a music production PC build and by sheer luck I managed to get my hands on an MSI RX 6600 XT Gaming, which has two each of DP and HDMI inputs and has FreeSync. I’m currently using a late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display, and that doesn’t seem to bother my eyes or my head a lot, but I do have the contrast increased a bit and use the blue light filter whenever my head is even remotely “migraine-y.” I also have computer glasses that filter out blue light for those bad migraine days.

I need to get a monitor since I will no longer be using my laptop. I hijacked a cheap 21” ONN monitor (ONA18HO015) from my stepdad and have been using that as a second monitor in conjunction with my laptop, and I intend to keep using the ONN as I’m going to be streaming music production content on Twitch once I get this set up. I’d like to keep my expenditure around $250 since I still have a few other purchases to make for my studio. That being said, if it’s a good monitor I can bend that a bit since I’m prioritizing my healthcare needs over any flashy features. I’m also 100% open to a refurbished monitor.

I’ve done TONS of research on PC components. I didn’t realize there was so much to learn about monitors. Thanks for taking the time to read this, AND for your help!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Oct 2021, 18:30

I understand that your eyes are very comfortable with Apple displays, but has more issues/migranes with other non-Apple displays. This is an interesting area that needs a bit of self-troubleshooting, but there are also additional ergonomic issues to also check too.

Ergonomic issues with vision can be hard to troubleshoot -- e.g. LED spectrum issues and panel issues (e.g. TN vs IPS, as well as standard LED backlight vs KSF/NanoIPS LED backlight). The best way to try to narrow this down is to analyze:

General pattern of changes to display industry over the last 10-25 years:
  • CRT gave way to CCFL-backlit LCD, then gave way to LED-backlit LCD. (Different people react differently in migraines)
  • Low blue light features have become available (but software/firmware does not fully solve CCFL vs LED differences)
  • Desktop monitors are becoming bigger than they used to be (which can affect migraines due to bigger FOV)
  • Higher Hz has now become available, even for IPS and VA (this can help some, people who get motionsick playing games)
  • VRR technologies recently became available (can help motion sickness caused by stutter; people who get motionsick playing games)
There is no single cause of migraines. However, you can test categories of common causes of display ergonomic issues:
  • Try enable/disable low blue light via menus/OS/app. This helps a lot, but sometimes is only partial as software doesn't fully fix the LED spectrum. LCD blacks are not completely black, and blacks can leak through the original backlight spectrum which may trigger issues for you.
  • Try wear orange-tinted "computer glasses", they're like sunglasses but designed for computer use. Superior to software apps.
  • Change refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz/144Hz and 240 Hz, in case your issue is motion blur related (some of us get nausea from motion blur and/or poorly tuned LCD pixel response).
  • Verify the monitor dimming is PWM-free. Most displays made in the last 10 years are PWM-free, fortunately.
  • Verify different LED backlight types. (regular vs KSF/NanoIPS vs Quantum Dot vs Apple Mac/iPad type backlight). Some people solve their problem by changing to a very different (sometimes more expensive) LED backlight type.
  • Verify viewing distance (smaller display closer, bigger display further away). Some prefer to use a TV at the back of a 4-foot-deep desk, to help vision issues.
  • Verify eye aging issues (people becoming 40+), if you're getting issues regardless of display in public, office, home, mobile, etc. See an optometrist for tests.
  • Verify bias lights (e.g. nightnight behind the screen), to make sure your screen is no longer the dimmest/brightest object in your room.
  • Try unexpected alternatives such as LG 42", 48" or 55" 4K 120Hz GSYNC OLED HDTV on the wall at back of a 4 foot deep desk (twice the viewing distance of normal 24" monitor). They are also FreeSync compatible.
Try to focus on categories during your process of elimination, but admittedly this can be very challenging if vision / motionsick / migraine issues only occur over time. There are many causes that sometimes are wild goose chases to red herrings -- many try to fix their headache by low blue light, find that doesn't work, and don't know the cause.

The risk of going cheap budget bottom-barrel uncertified "FreeSync" is you will make something else worse than your MBP display in order to gain FreeSync. Cheap gaming monitors also have a narrower brightness adjustment range than most Mac monitors, which is hugely unfortunate, if you're used to a Macbook backlight at 40% brightness setting (dimmer than the 1% brightness setting of some brands of gaming monitors that are still too bright).

However, my general rule of thumb for a FreeSync display to de-risk people whose eyes prefer the comfort of an Apple screen:
  • Make sure it is both true AMD FreeSync *and* NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible certified. A display simultaneously certified by both AMD and NVIDIA is more likely to be better.
  • Choose an IPS panel, the same LCD technology that Apple uses. That's what all iMac/MacBook/iPad/iPhone LCDs are nowadays whenever they're not using OLED, so avoid the cheap TN monitors to get more of a 1:1 symmetric experience. IPS FreeSync is a bit more expensive than TN FreeSync.
  • Adjust your environment. Don't use a bigger/smaller screen than other existing screens that fully comfort your eyes. Adjust brightness to match your other comfortable screens used from the exact same chair. Adjust DPI/zoom so you're not squinting at tiny text. Adjust viewing distance to be similar to your other favorite eye-comfortable displays.
  • Supplement with filters, preferably external instead of apps. You may have to supplement with orange-tinted non-prescription "computer glasses" from Amazon, or neutral density filters or apps (F.Lux style) to increase adjustment range or overcome an intrisinic limitation of a specific backlight LED's spectrum of a cheap monitor not fully fixable by software utilities. And brightness range limitations that are narrower than the brightness adjustment range of a display made by Apple.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

simplysimon911

Re: Budget FreeSync Monitor for someone with Migraines?

Post by simplysimon911 » 05 Jan 2022, 10:55

I have had migraines since I was 16 until i reached 48. What medication do you take as gaming and monitor use problems, for me , start with eye strain and dizziness. At this point its time to rest.

I use 4k monitors now however what ever I use it makes no difference. The environment, your stress levels and your general health play a part. If starts to hurt quit for a while. I think the PC age and its health issues are in its infancy and we, especially me as I have gamed since 1978, are the Guinea pigs.

Im 54 now and control my headaches with Amitriptyline. I went to see a Neurologist for this diagnosis but dont let it spoil your life or fun. You just gotta rest sometimes.

good luck to you an hope it sorts it self out

jednanoc

Re: Budget FreeSync Monitor for someone with Migraines?

Post by jednanoc » 09 Jul 2022, 01:37

Hi!

I would go with Samsung Odyssey G3 series monitor. It costs around 220$, if that is ok with you. The 144hz refresh rate will allow your eyes to rest a bit. With this one, you will not have to worry about tearing or stuttering, and you will have the best gaming experience. It isn't curved, but I think that's good because of migraines.

If 27 inches is too big for you, there is a 24" model. Or you can take a look here https://streammentor.com/best-gaming-monitor-under-200/ to see other budget options.