How to use Acer BE270U + NVIDIA 1080ti?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
EternalStudent07

How to use Acer BE270U + NVIDIA 1080ti?

Post by EternalStudent07 » 19 Mar 2022, 03:03

My screen isn't certified by NVIDIA as G-sync capable, but does that mean I can't use any of the supposed FreeSync capabilities of this screen? I don't think Acer broadcast any FreeSync details (like on the product page), but searching online I'd seen a claim this screen has VRR capabilities.

I tried enabling G-sync and playing the pendulum tech demo from NVIDIA. G-sync mode was worse than Vsync on (in the app). This is with 2 x 1080ti in SLI mode. Those fans started blaring pretty fast.

I can't find any way to tell if a VRR feature is being used, or even if the screen reports compatibility (through EDID or something). Just that the NVIDIA Control Panel says my screen isn't certified. And I don't see it on their FreeSync compatible monitors page. Though it's pretty old, and I doubt Acer sent NVIDIA one to test on.

I'd bought one of the first G-sync screens and it got scratched during a move. At the time only the dim + bad viewing angle panels could go that fast, so I shifted to this brighter 75Hz panel instead. Wasn't willing to try to buy a no warranty IPS from Korea.

Anyway, thanks for any light you can shed. I have a feeling my answer is "if it works, it works...and it ain't working".

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How to use Acer BE270U + NVIDIA 1080ti?

Post by RealNC » 20 Mar 2022, 14:31

Enable the g-sync overlay indicator in the nvidia panel. If you go to the g-sync section of the panel, then you can enable the overlay in one of the menus that's below the title bar of the window.

When gsync is active in a game, you'll see some small green text in the upper right corner of the screen that says "g-sync". That's how you can verify if it works or not.

Might also be worth a try to disable SLI to see if it interferes. (I've no idea if it's supposed to work with SLI or not.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

EternalStudent07

Re: How to use Acer BE270U + NVIDIA 1080ti?

Post by EternalStudent07 » 23 Mar 2022, 22:08

Ah, I'd forgotten about the indicator feature. Like for SLI mode too.

Now I'm having trouble even running their Control Panel tool. Tried uninstalling, then reinstalling. After agreeing to their license I still get nothing when I tell it to run. ARG...

I sent off a question to NVIDIA to see if it should work even if it's not certified, and if there was any way to make it function anyway (override it or something). Got the standard non-answer of "it's not on the list".

Yeah, I've tried running the demo with and without SLI. But good point that it might impact if the feature turns on.