Motion clarity question

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
kurtdh

Motion clarity question

Post by kurtdh » 01 Jul 2024, 14:21

I understand how a higher hz gives you better motion clarity, but does actual FPS factor into this? For example, will motion clarity be the same in both scenarios?

#1. 240 fps at 240 hz
#2. 60 fps at 240 hz

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Motion clarity question

Post by RealNC » 02 Jul 2024, 08:00

Hz alone or FPS alone won't improve clarity. You need both. 60FPS@240Hz will have the same clarity as 60FPS@60Hz and 240FPS@60Hz (except minor differences due to possible pixel response time differences.)

Higher Hz though does give a latency benefit even at lower FPS due to higher frame scanout speed (and you can also get that higher scanout speed through QFT or VRR.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

kurtdh

Post by kurtdh » 02 Jul 2024, 22:08

RealNC wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 08:00
Hz alone or FPS alone won't improve clarity. You need both. 60FPS@240Hz will have the same clarity as 60FPS@60Hz and 240FPS@60Hz (except minor differences due to possible pixel response time differences.)

Higher Hz though does give a latency benefit even at lower FPS due to higher frame scanout speed (and you can also get that higher scanout speed through QFT or VRR.)
Thanks for the answer! So if I can only get 60 fps in a particular game, a 240hz monitor will literally have the same motion clarity than if I had a 60hz monitor correct?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2024, 08:32

kurtdh wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 22:08
Thanks for the answer! So if I can only get 60 fps in a particular game, a 240hz monitor will literally have the same motion clarity than if I had a 60hz monitor correct?
There could be some difference because of the different monitors. But on the same monitor, it would be the same, unless the monitor has a really bad 60Hz mode overdrive.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2024, 19:48

kurtdh wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 22:08
Generally, yes, unless the monitor has a feature specific to improving 60fps (like the 60Hz strobe feature of ViewSonic XG2431).

Also, if you do 60fps inside a 240Hz conduit, you still have benefits even if no difference in blur.
- You have much less input lag, since those 60fps frames are transferred over the video cable in just 1/240sec apiece.
- You have better VRR behaviors usually, with 60fps-via-240Hz-VRR, than 60fps-via-144Hz-VRR.
- If you use VSYNC OFF, tearing is much less visible since tearlines are visible for only 1/240sec instead of 1/60sec

So you still have multiple benefits, when doing 60fps content on a computer via a GPU outputting 240Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2024, 19:49

kurtdh wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 14:21
I understand how a higher hz gives you better motion clarity, but does actual FPS factor into this? For example, will motion clarity be the same in both scenarios?

#1. 240 fps at 240 hz
#2. 60 fps at 240 hz
Yes, framerate --
If you don't use any strobing features, motion blur is frametime.
Double framerate will halve eye-tracking motion blur assuming GtG=0. This effect will be much more noticable on OLED than LCD.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kurtdh

Post by kurtdh » 19 Jul 2024, 19:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 19:49
kurtdh wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 14:21

#1. 240 fps at 240 hz
#2. 60 fps at 240 hz
Yes, framerate --
If you don't use any strobing features, motion blur is frametime.
Double framerate will halve eye-tracking motion blur assuming GtG=0. This effect will be much more noticable on OLED than LCD.
How does VRR affect this? Someone asked me this earlier and I wasn’t sure if VRR had an affect on motion clarity or not.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 20 Jul 2024, 02:59

If u are able to, I would highly recommend testing all the combinations yourself in Smooth Frog. There u can see all the changes happen in real time.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jul 2024, 01:16

kurtdh wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 19:44
How does VRR affect this? Someone asked me this earlier and I wasn’t sure if VRR had an affect on motion clarity or not.
Short answer: No

Long answer: No, but other factors like different overdrive algorthms may create pixel response differences that makes VRR blurrier or sharper at the same frame rate.

The best way to explain this is that there is no difference between:
(A) scientifically perfect non-VRR sample and hold display of a certain frame rate (as a divisor of Hz, like 30fps, 60fps, 120fps on a 120Hz)
(B) scientifically perfect VRR display doing that same framerate in a perfectly framepaced manner.

In this case, the persistence blur is exactly identical: frametime