SYNC FAILURE

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Gizmmo

SYNC FAILURE

Post by Gizmmo » 17 Jun 2021, 11:28

Hi,

i have an 144hz monitor and when i try to do the Test UFO, i get the error:

SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC. Try closing all apps and browser tabs.

I tried:

- rebooting
- closing all apps
- reinstalling drivers (monitor and gpu)
- trying different browser. I tested on latest version of Mozilla
- trying a different display port cable
- trying a different display port on GPU

The only time it synced was with a HDMI cable, but that limited refresh rate at 100hz
I added the animation timed graph.
Attachments
2021-06-17 19_19_35-Window.jpg
2021-06-17 19_19_35-Window.jpg (233.73 KiB) Viewed 9500 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: SYNC FAILURE

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2021, 16:30

Background CPU processing shows up in that graph. Browsers are super sensitive to this.

Temporarily reboot with no system tray apps and see what happens. Some RGB software are inefficient, for example, while old versions of a specific cloud sync app has also been a culprit.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gizmmo

Post by Gizmmo » 17 Jun 2021, 16:41

I uninstalled 2 RGB programs, Aorus from gigabyte and Aura from Asus. It works fine now.

Oh man, sorry for wasting your time, I've read RGB programs could be a problem in another thread where
you've already answered. I dunno what i was thinking and why i haven't tried that first.

Thanks a million!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2021, 16:43

Yep.

Fortunately, only half of the RGB software may cause problems, others such as Razer is written very efficiently.

Was ASUS or Aorus the bigger problem?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gizmmo

Post by Gizmmo » 17 Jun 2021, 16:50

I don't know. I am guessing gigabyte was the bigger problem because it was running as a service. The Asus one was just a bios toggle for lights on/off.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2021, 17:59

Gizmmo wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 16:50
I don't know. I am guessing gigabyte was the bigger problem because it was running as a service. The Asus one was just a bios toggle for lights on/off.
If you know which app was the CPU hog, let me know.

I may want to strategically release an article to, ehm, perhaps “honestly sensationalize” this newsworthy “RGB software creating INPUT LAG!!!1!” Issue (to get them to fix the problem) once we got enough sample reports from users. It’s starting to become a real problem with inefficiently-programmed RGB software. But we need more user reports to isolate the problem RGB apps…

Briefly turn on the BIOS and let me know if ASUS hardware Aura Sync seems to be invisible on the TestUFO workload. It may be one of the “good ones” including Razer’s.