[$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Nov 2020, 20:47

robert wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 20:21
Hej there, I just stumbled over this while working on something related and wanted to drop some notes some current developments that may be interesting for people here.
Appreciate the follow up, that's great work, a multi monitor aware different-Hz compositor is wonderful!

For testing web browser support -- make sure to test multiple delay values at Easter Egg'd Animation Time Graph. Edit the useragent to lie that it's a Windows based Chrome browser, so the green READY indicator appears. Wait for the graph to smoothly scroll. Now, try to make things stutter (warning: stutter detected message) such as moving mouse arrow or clicking on things. It should not have any false negatives (stutters appearing while the "READY" stays green). It should be able to accomodate up to one half refresh cycle delay (in the Insert Delay textbox) before stutters begin to appear. Chrome for Windows supports up to ~70-80% CPU consumption without stutters (e.g. number of "12" milliseconds inserted into the textbox for 60Hz refresh rate), though the test will display a High CPU Consumption alert instead of a green READY.
robert wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 20:21
*: as long as you are not on proprietary nvidia drivers...
If you need help getting through to specific people at NVIDIA, reach out to me. I have contacts to the driver team.

We want to make sure to concurrently life all refresh rate boats, whether open source or proprietary. For example, I recently successfully convinced Microsoft to 1000Hz research (breaking 500Hz limit) -- I now have a customized Insider build capable of 1000hz refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

iopq

Post by iopq » 18 Dec 2020, 10:01

Is there a desktop program I can run to do this? I tried Wayland but it doesn't even get to 240Hz in the browser for some reason with Nvidia

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2020, 16:59

kwin-lowlatency is a known high-Hz-compatible desktop manager.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ipkpjersi

Post by ipkpjersi » 04 Jul 2021, 18:18

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 also using Xfce 4.14 with Chrome 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit). I'm unable to get 120/144hz unlike my refresh rate. I have confirmed that my refresh rate is 144hz through xrandr and by testing and comparing the cursor trails vs 60hz.

Here are my Graphics Feature Status according to Chrome:

Code: Select all

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Hardware accelerated
Compositing: Hardware accelerated
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Out-of-process Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
OpenGL: Enabled
Rasterization: Hardware accelerated on all pages
Skia Renderer: Enabled
Video Decode: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Vulkan: Disabled
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated
Driver Bug Workarounds
adjust_src_dst_region_for_blitframebuffer
clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
exit_on_context_lost
disabled_extension_GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced
disabled_extension_GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent
Problems Detected
Clear uniforms before first program use on all platforms: 124764, 349137
Applied Workarounds: clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
Disable KHR_blend_equation_advanced until cc shaders are updated: 661715
Applied Workarounds: disable(GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced), disable(GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent)
Some drivers can't recover after OUT_OF_MEM and context lost: 893177
Applied Workarounds: exit_on_context_lost
adjust src/dst region if blitting pixels outside framebuffer on Linux NVIDIA: 830046
Applied Workarounds: adjust_src_dst_region_for_blitframebuffer
Accelerated video decode has been disabled, either via blocklist, about:flags or the command line.
Disabled Features: video_decode
Does anyone have any ideas of things I might be able to try to get the 120/144hz in the browser?

I have also enabled experimental flags (one by one) #enable-gpu-rasterization, #ignore-gpu-blocklist, #enable-zero-copy, #enable-gpu-service-logging but it has not helped.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Jul 2021, 10:26

ipkpjersi wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:18
I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 also using Xfce 4.14 with Chrome 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit). I'm unable to get 120/144hz unlike my refresh rate. I have confirmed that my refresh rate is 144hz through xrandr and by testing and comparing the cursor trails vs 60hz.
Last time I tried XFCE, it caps compositing to 60FPS. I have not a found a way to uncap it:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11663

The result of that is that no matter at how much FPS an application runs, you will only see 60FPS being drawn on the screen.

I'm using KDE Plasma (5.22), which works correctly and syncs the framerate to the refresh rate without frame skips. This happened fist in Plasma 5.21, IIRC, when most of the features of kwin-lowlatency (https://github.com/tildearrow/kwin-lowlatency) got included in official kwin:

kwin.png
kwin.png (78.25 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ipkpjersi

Post by ipkpjersi » 05 Jul 2021, 12:19

RealNC wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 10:26
ipkpjersi wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:18
Last time I tried XFCE, it caps compositing to 60FPS. I have not a found a way to uncap it:

The result of that is that no matter at how much FPS an application runs, you will only see 60FPS being drawn on the screen.

I'm using KDE Plasma (5.22), which works correctly and syncs the framerate to the refresh rate without frame skips. This happened fist in Plasma 5.21, IIRC, when most of the features of kwin-lowlatency got included in official kwin:

kwin.png
Hey,

Thanks for the reply, that's great to know. I have some follow up questions.

Does this 60 FPS limit only happen when "Enable display compositing" is enabled in Xfce Window Manager Tweaks?

Also, does this only affect Windowed/Borderless games/applications, or does this also affect fullscreen games/applications too?

Thanks.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Jul 2021, 14:49

ipkpjersi wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 12:19
Does this 60 FPS limit only happen when "Enable display compositing" is enabled in Xfce Window Manager Tweaks?

Also, does this only affect Windowed/Borderless games/applications, or does this also affect fullscreen games/applications too?
I don't remember. It should be easy to check when you drag windows across the desktop. The difference between 60FPS and 120FPS is very apparent.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ipkpjersi

Post by ipkpjersi » 09 Jul 2021, 14:08

RealNC wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 14:49
ipkpjersi wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 12:19

I don't remember. It should be easy to check when you drag windows across the desktop. The difference between 60FPS and 120FPS is very apparent.
I just solved the issue for not only Chrome and Firefox, but also Geometry Wars 3 in Steam (using Proton)and pretty much everything else, I would guess.

I had to add __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DP-2 to my /etc/environment and then I had to log out. Everything is so smooth now.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Jul 2021, 03:50

ipkpjersi wrote:
09 Jul 2021, 14:08
I just solved the issue for not only Chrome and Firefox, but also Geometry Wars 3 in Steam (using Proton)and pretty much everything else, I would guess.

I had to add __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DP-2 to my /etc/environment and then I had to log out. Everything is so smooth now.
Are you 100% sure you're getting 120FPS though? Does the 120FPS animation here look clearer than the 60FPS one:

https://www.testufo.com/framerates#coun ... rs&pps=960

fulalas1

Post by fulalas1 » 18 Aug 2021, 21:29

RealNC wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 10:26

[url]

I'm one of Porteus Linux distro developers and I guarantee you that Xfce 4.12 and 4.16 can both render the desktop at any FPS you want.

I have a 280 Hz monitor and it works flawlessly on both. The only catch is that if you're using 4.16 + Nvidia then you should disable compositor vsync (which at the moment is not configurable in the UI :roll: )