[$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Aug 2021, 21:37

fulalas1 wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 21:29
I'm one of Porteus Linux distro developers and I guarantee you that Xfce 4.12 and 4.16 can both render the desktop at any FPS you want.

I have a 280 Hz monitor and it works flawlessly on both. The only catch is that if you're using 4.16 + Nvidia then you should disable compositor vsync (which at the moment is not configurable in the UI :roll: )
That's fantastic, and lots of kudos for making sure that the distro correctly automatically detects & autoconfigures the compositor to framerate=Hz by default in a bog-standard default install. Thank you so much.

NVIDIA is no excuse. What can I do to make sure that it's also possible with the NVIDIA drivers? I have a few contacts at NVIDIA I might be able to light a massive fire under. I collaborated with NVIDIA on a new motion test for the world's first 360Hz monitor with this NVIDIA page mentioning partnering with BlurBusters.

Tell me. How can I help along that framerate=Hz synchronized compositing by default is essentially guaranteed at default distro install settings (no configuring) with any recent CPU/GPU?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

fulalas1

Post by fulalas1 » 18 Aug 2021, 21:45

It's possible with Nvidia drivers -- that's actually my current setup. :)

If you're using 4.16 make sure you have Xfce compositor vsync disabled and in Nvidia X Server Settings you have vsync enabled -- it seems that having both vsync enabled you may have issues with VRR as I reported here: gitlab.xfce org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/515

Oh, and no need to enable Composition Pipeline anymore. :)

kyube

Post by kyube » 05 Oct 2021, 12:25

fulalas1 wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 21:45
It's possible with Nvidia drivers -- that's actually my current setup. :)

If you're using 4.16 make sure you have Xfce compositor vsync disabled and in Nvidia X Server Settings you have vsync enabled -- it seems that having both vsync enabled you may have issues with VRR as I reported here: gitlab.xfce org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/515

Oh, and no need to enable Composition Pipeline anymore. :)
How would one make syncing work on AMD GPUs? I'm on a HD7570M-based laptop and on Manjaro XFCE (4.16 with xfwm4) (stock, tried turning "display compositor" on and off to no avail) and I used xrandr to make a custom resolution (1080p @ 100hz) but I just can't get Firefox to register the refresh rate, nor does it feel snappier on desktop. Wayland is a no-go as I cannot make custom resolutions there :/ Distrohopped the past 2 days without finding any that work out of the box. Any help would be appreciated!