[$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Aug 2021, 21:37

fulalas1 wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 21:29
I'm one of Porteus Linux distro developers and I guarantee you that Xfce 4.12 and 4.16 can both render the desktop at any FPS you want.

I have a 280 Hz monitor and it works flawlessly on both. The only catch is that if you're using 4.16 + Nvidia then you should disable compositor vsync (which at the moment is not configurable in the UI :roll: )
That's fantastic, and lots of kudos for making sure that the distro correctly automatically detects & autoconfigures the compositor to framerate=Hz by default in a bog-standard default install. Thank you so much.

NVIDIA is no excuse. What can I do to make sure that it's also possible with the NVIDIA drivers? I have a few contacts at NVIDIA I might be able to light a massive fire under. I collaborated with NVIDIA on a new motion test for the world's first 360Hz monitor with this NVIDIA page mentioning partnering with BlurBusters.

Tell me. How can I help along that framerate=Hz synchronized compositing by default is essentially guaranteed at default distro install settings (no configuring) with any recent CPU/GPU?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fulalas1

Post by fulalas1 » 18 Aug 2021, 21:45

It's possible with Nvidia drivers -- that's actually my current setup. :)

If you're using 4.16 make sure you have Xfce compositor vsync disabled and in Nvidia X Server Settings you have vsync enabled -- it seems that having both vsync enabled you may have issues with VRR as I reported here: gitlab.xfce org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/515

Oh, and no need to enable Composition Pipeline anymore. :)

kyube

Post by kyube » 05 Oct 2021, 12:25

fulalas1 wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 21:45
It's possible with Nvidia drivers -- that's actually my current setup. :)

If you're using 4.16 make sure you have Xfce compositor vsync disabled and in Nvidia X Server Settings you have vsync enabled -- it seems that having both vsync enabled you may have issues with VRR as I reported here: gitlab.xfce org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/515

Oh, and no need to enable Composition Pipeline anymore. :)
How would one make syncing work on AMD GPUs? I'm on a HD7570M-based laptop and on Manjaro XFCE (4.16 with xfwm4) (stock, tried turning "display compositor" on and off to no avail) and I used xrandr to make a custom resolution (1080p @ 100hz) but I just can't get Firefox to register the refresh rate, nor does it feel snappier on desktop. Wayland is a no-go as I cannot make custom resolutions there :/ Distrohopped the past 2 days without finding any that work out of the box. Any help would be appreciated!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2022, 12:01

Possible $10K Bounty

I am now considering posting a brand new USD$10,000 bounty on this, if I can find a donor to dollar-match a $5000 bounty.

for more information, please see my replies at:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9980&p=80596
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Slamy

Post by Slamy » 08 May 2022, 14:49

I had to think about your post for quite some time. My inner feelings tell me that this problem is nearly unsolvable in a clean and correct way without installing and trying out every distribution there is directly after a new one is released for the rest of our time.

The number of variables involving stable frame rates in the browser are immense. With my Linux Pursuit Camera Tool which I was maintaining yesterday and today for more stability it left me speechless how much issues i again had. And this was the same PC the whole time. On Windows there is only the usual desktop with graphics drivers highly tuned for video games. As the user basis of Windows is that big and the system has an active e-sports scene, problems are detected very quickly. (Let's ignore the 1 year VR stutter bug in the Nvidia driver for a moment -.-*)
On Linux there are multiple desktop environments running on an X Server (probably Xorg). Some users have the Compositor enabled. Some don't have. And some don't even know what the Compositor is, what it does or don't even care. Some users have their Compositor tuned in the better or worse way.
Then there are multiple different GPUs available, released over a period of time, each behaving differently.
And problems only start here as distros are moving from Xorg to Wayland in the future which again needs drivers which might or might not be supplied correctly by the GPU vendor.
And with the Nvidia driver, there is a huge difference between fullscreen and windowed mode as the fullscreen mode is much more jitter free as the application is allowed to directly provides frames for the display without any composition.

What I would like to communicate is that this problem might either need
A: maintenance by multiple persons each with their favorite distro observing the status of the test ufo in parallel
B: educated end users who are able to see for themselves whether the test is running correctly or not.

I realize that the main goal of this project is a simple link that can be clicked for everyone to observe their motion artifacts without any problems. It just seems to be very difficult and painful to support every Linux system there is on the shoulder of 1 person.