SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
masterboss

SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC

Post by masterboss » 23 Nov 2020, 04:17

Hi Everyone,

I have a dual setup with 2 AOC G2790PX (1080p 144hz). I have Gsync on and Vsync on at Nvidia control panel, refresh rate set at 144hz and when I try any Test UFO I get the following message:
SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC. Try closing all apps and browser tabs

The test fails on both monitors, I closed all the windows and tried in different browsers with the same result. The test also fails if I use only one monitor (disconnecting the other one). I am using Windows 10 up to date and I changed the display port cables as well.

Can someone help diagnose the problem?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2020, 04:18

Check chrome://gpu

Is GPU acceleration turned on?

Also, post a screenshot of www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterboss

Post by masterboss » 23 Nov 2020, 05:21

Thanks for that, this is the result from chrome://gpu

https://imgur.com/a/2OaTamT

Also GPU acceleration is on at chrome.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2020, 16:50

Holy frametime spikes, batman!

Your system probably has some problems that needs fixing. Your games are also lagged by these background surges probably. This isn’t a refresh rate problem and probably isn’t a browser problem.

Try doing the usual tricks like:
- Exiting all system tray apps
- Cleaning cache
- Disabling all browser extensions
- Temporarily disabling all RGB software.
- Figuring out if Task Manager shows any background software suddenly spiking in processing
- Upgrading graphics drivers

Low lying apple test:
- Fresh reboot with SHIFT key (no system tray apps), launch a freshly installed web browser
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterboss

Post by masterboss » 25 Nov 2020, 02:37

Hey, thanks for the help!

You were absolutely right the rgb software was the cause for those spikes. Is that normal though or happens to everybody? Should I just get rid of the RGB?

Cheers

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2020, 18:52

masterboss wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 02:37
You were absolutely right the rgb software was the cause for those spikes. Is that normal though or happens to everybody? Should I just get rid of the RGB?
:D .... I was right just by looking at the graph!

Different brands of RGB has less overheads by several orders of magnitude. My Razer keyboard custom RGB (ripples from keyboards) has zero impact on TestUFO.

Disable all your RGB and test one RGB accessory at a time, measuring impacts on TestUFO. Find the RGB that kills your CPU and get rid of it. Purchase a different RGB brand/accessory that eats zero or near-zero CPU. RGB animators need to be configured to lower priority than everything else too, so adjust the priority of your Startup software that controls RGB.

Latency purists (paid esports) may wish to avoid software-animated RGB where possible since those spikes represent latency spikes. Unless running sponsored equipment with mandatory software-animated RGB, then complain to your sponsored-equipment vendor if there's RGB performance (you've got monetary pull if you play paid esports).

xurmirac

Post by xurmirac » 07 Dec 2022, 21:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 18:52
masterboss wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 02:37
:D .... I was right just by looking at the graph!

Different brands of RGB has less overheads by several orders of magnitude. My Razer keyboard custom RGB (ripples from keyboards) has zero impact on TestUFO.

Disable all your RGB and test one RGB accessory at a time, measuring impacts on TestUFO. Find the RGB that kills your CPU and get rid of it. Purchase a different RGB brand/accessory that eats zero or near-zero CPU. RGB animators need to be configured to lower priority than everything else too, so adjust the priority of your Startup software that controls RGB.

Latency purists (paid esports) may wish to avoid software-animated RGB where possible since those spikes represent latency spikes. Unless running sponsored equipment with mandatory software-animated RGB, then complain to your sponsored-equipment vendor if there's RGB performance (you've got monetary pull if you play paid esports).
Man! Unbelievable! I have just registered to type this you! I'm having this trouble for a while and I opened Ufo Test by a fluke then I got "SYNC FAILURE" error, I google it, then I'm here. I saw your "RGB software" message. The problem was solved thanks to you. Really appreciate you!

The software that causes stuttering which i got is Palit Thundermaster. I just have uninstalled it then solved!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2022, 22:43

xurmirac wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 21:22
Man! Unbelievable! I have just registered to type this you! I'm having this trouble for a while and I opened Ufo Test by a fluke then I got "SYNC FAILURE" error, I google it, then I'm here. I saw your "RGB software" message. The problem was solved thanks to you. Really appreciate you!

The software that causes stuttering which i got is Palit Thundermaster. I just have uninstalled it then solved!
You're welcome! Some RGB animating software adds quite a bit of stutters to games too.

If you do use them, to keep the bling on your rig, stick to efficient brands (RGB software that has fewer performance complaints) and reduce the process-priority of the RGB animator software. (Third party software can be used to force low process priority for specific software upon startup).

yamaci1775

Post by yamaci1775 » 15 Mar 2023, 13:20

I had a similar problem when I wanted to check if my monitor was frame skipping. Looked at that vsync animation test, always had periodic (with very short periods) stutters. Shut everything off, it was fixed. Then one by one, I deducted that it was caused by Afterburner. But what is funnier is that it is not caused by Afterburner directly, rather, it was caused by "power" sensor. When I disabled monitoring for GPU power sensor, periodic stutters are gone and now I can keep Afterburner open as well.

Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else finds the topic through google like me. Most of the time it is RGB software but in my case it was specifically afterburner's power monitoring. For anyone who wonders its a gigabyte rtx 3070 on a clean W11 build

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2023, 02:08

CPU-expensive sensor monitoring. Ouch.