Animation Timing Deviation test constant stutters [Fixed after moving computer]

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
spoidah

Animation Timing Deviation test constant stutters [Fixed after moving computer]

Post by spoidah » 10 Jan 2023, 15:02

I'm trying to identify a persistent stutter, but it's hard to find software that can actually detect this stutter issue, let alone identifying where it's coming from. I've tried an assortment of programs i.e. latencymon, whysoslow, MSI afterburner + RTSS, performance monitor etc.

I have attempted this test multiple times with different browsers and locking my display to different refresh rates (i.e. 360 - 240 - 140 - 120) (picture attached is using chrome, win11, hardware acceleration enabled), even after killing off background programs and processes I'll still get these stutters.
Last edited by spoidah on 23 Feb 2023, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

spoidah

Re: Animation Timing Deviation test constant stutters

Post by spoidah » 23 Feb 2023, 00:32

I ended up taking my PC to another location with the exact same peripheralsImage.

Literally nothing different in my setup, and now it has no issues with stutters on any refresh rate. I didn't
even need to mess around with closing other tabs or applications, everything just works the way it's supposed to.

If you've read any of my previous posts, I suffer from pretty extreme issues with desync, input lag etc. that I suspect to be caused by electrical interference.

Another thing of note, using my PC in this location is that gameplay is also flawless, there's no visual noise/screen tearing when looking around (i.e. 360Hz looking like 60Hz), no input delay (affectionately known as clown mouse, and no delayed keyboard inputs), no desync or issues with hitreg.

Is this perhaps evidence of EMI/RFI issues?
I'll take my PC back to test if the problems return, and post results. Maybe there was some kind of windows update that fixed the stutter, who knows.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2023, 06:42

spoidah wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 00:32
Not necessarily. The act of moving a PC can vibrate/shake/jiggle a PC -- e.g. loose connections that may be creating error correction events or lagged communications / interrupts etc. Or other simple cause such as temperature differences in each location creating thermal throttling events, etc.

You'd need to move back and fourth at least a few times to determine a consistency of location-specific problem, which raises likelihood/probability it is interference-related, but not necessarily all the way to 100% likelihood...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 23 Feb 2023, 07:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 06:42
spoidah wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 00:32
Not necessarily. The act of moving a PC can vibrate/shake/jiggle a PC -- e.g. loose connections that may be creating error correction events or lagged communications / interrupts etc. Or other simple cause such as temperature differences in each location creating thermal throttling events, etc.

You'd need to move back and fourth at least a few times to determine a consistency of location-specific problem, which raises likelihood/probability it is interference-related, but not necessarily all the way to 100% likelihood...
Thanks for replying Chief.
Are there any other kinds of tests you would expect to see odd results for if there's any kind of interference? I want to move my PC back and forth and compare the results.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Animation Timing Deviation test constant stutters [Fixed after moving computer]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2023, 14:42

spoidah wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 07:39
Thanks for replying Chief.
Are there any other kinds of tests you would expect to see odd results for if there's any kind of interference? I want to move my PC back and forth and compare the results.
Interference-related latency issues, while they exist, is an extremely hard-to-troubleshoot problem. Easiest is to simply shotgun all possible causes by making your computer as bulletproof as possible to interference. If you are in certain countries (e.g. Eastern Europe) then try the offgrid power station test (giant UPS) to decouple your computer away from bad electricity grids.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!