SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC. Try closing all apps and browser tabs.

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
lilExtra

SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC. Try closing all apps and browser tabs.

Post by lilExtra » 24 May 2023, 10:54

Hi, I tried many times to find a solution to this but it is giving me this error no matter what I do.
I'm trying to do the test on Chrome, I have a dual monitor setup and the monitor I want to test is a ZOWIE XL2566K TN 360Hz DyAc⁺™, I also tried to disable my second monitor but nothing, this is the error I get:

Hardware acceleration and everyting are turned on:

And this is a test I did of www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph :

My pc specs are:
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix X670E-F GAMING WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
GPU: Asus Rog Strix NVIDIA RTX 4080 OC
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MT/s
SSD: Samsung 990 PRO 2T

lilExtra

Re: SYNC FAILURE: Unable to VSYNC. Try closing all apps and browser tabs.

Post by lilExtra » 25 May 2023, 10:01

OK i managed to resolve the problem by myself.
So, for my case, the problem was Armoury Crate and its "LightningService" which manages all the RGB lights in my PC:

I discovered that when i kill it the situation changes from this:

to this:

and so the question is officially resolved!

I really can't figure out why this affects the test so much, the processor i have should be enough powerfull to run this simple test, and also this Armoury Crate service takes just 2% of the CPU, so i don't know what to say, thankfully i found the cause.

Hope this will help someone else :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 May 2023, 10:52

lilExtra wrote:
25 May 2023, 10:01
I really can't figure out why this affects the test so much, the processor i have should be enough powerfull to run this simple test, and also this Armoury Crate service takes just 2% of the CPU, so i don't know what to say, thankfully i found the cause.
It has been known for quite a while now that RGB software creates insanely high latency spikes. I always recommend keeping that kind of software as far away from your machines as possible. Whenever someone has unexplained game stuttering for example, the first thing I recommend is "uninstall all and any RGB software."
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 May 2023, 20:02

lilExtra wrote:
25 May 2023, 10:01
I really can't figure out why this affects the test so much, the processor i have should be enough powerfull to run this simple test, and also this Armoury Crate service takes just 2% of the CPU
That's average 2% CPU.

Just because it's 2%, doesn't mean it has moments of 100% surges (at least for a CPU core or few). Or perhaps it's a blocking port register read. Or perhaps it's a Ring 0 blocking behavior while it tries to realtime communicate to specific RGB registers (instead of a more friendly DPC system). Or some other thing. It simply averages out to 2%.

If it were 2% in a fairly constant way, then definitely won't interfere with TestUFO. But it's literally a ultra-high-priority (like REALTIME) brief spikes to 100% of at least 1 CPU core. In other words, it seems Armory Crate briefly surges to 100% CPU for a millisecond or two -- those spikes. It just simply averages out to 2%

Such high-priority surgey behaviors by utilities, is BAD.

Even 1ms CPU surge to 100% can eat away 50% of a 500hz refresh cycle!

This isn't important for 60Hz gamers. But important for 500Hz.

That's enough to add videogame lag.

That's enough to stutter TestUFO.

The creator of Armory Crate needs to fix their bug

The developer and QA testers of Armory Crate needs to put 500Hz monitors in their QA test fleet

Please tell them. Thank you. The more BlurBusters fans complain to Armory Crate, the merrier. RGB software CPU usage is a plague in the 500Hz era. No wonder Microsoft is taking over.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!