SYNC Failure (fresh win11 install)

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
TimboSlice

SYNC Failure (fresh win11 install)

Post by TimboSlice » 10 Jun 2023, 05:21

I have an interesting case i think.

Recently i upgraded my GPU from a rtx 2070 to a RTX 4080.
I also upgraded my monitor to a 240hz 1440p monitor (IIyama GB2790QSU B1).

I had really really bad stutters ingame, short freezes that were enough to pull out my hair.
It turned out i still had a displayport 1.2 cable, so i upgraded that to a proper dp 1.4 cable (which supports 1440p 240hz).... Alongside this i also turned on resize BAR in my bios.
All of this really improvement my results and the stutters were basically gone ingame. (Overwatch2, Dirt rally2..etc..)
I still had some slight stutters in the animation timing precision graph & i found out msi afterburner monitoring & NZXT cam was the case of this.
Turned that off except for NZXT cam.. this is something i need to control my AIO cooler.

All of this improved the test results (the red spike is when i took a screenshot):

After that i decided to fresh install my OS (windows 11), i had a feeling it would improve general performance.
So... my games are performing really well and i'm not observing stutters that i used to have.

But for some reason the animation timing precision graph test is not giving nice results. I'm not quite sure why.
I've tried to turn off basically all background apps/tabs (including msi afterburner/nzxt cam) but eventually it will rain 2ms red spikes.
I also tried gsync off/on to see if it makes a difference, but there is no difference whatsoever.
Result with basically all background apps turned off & gsync off:

It looks like i've gotten worse test results after reinstalling windows11.. but that doesn't make sense to me :shock:
I'm wondering what could be the cause of this? (My pc is at the exact same place btw :lol: )

TimboSlice

Re: SYNC Failure (fresh win11 install)

Post by TimboSlice » 12 Jun 2023, 17:37

UPDATE:

The stutter rain has stopped. I think part of the reason could be my windows install still had to 'settle' in some way. (I just used my PC and did some gaming, nothing has changed)

That said... i did some testing and noticed that NZXT CAM is still causing noticeable stutters.
This is the result without CAM:

This is the result with CAM:

There is a difference as you can see.
And i'm pretty certain this is because NZXT CAM monitors PC hardware (and you can't turn it off even if you disable the monitor tab)
I think it's very similar like MSI afterburner, but at least you can turn it off there.

I created a support ticket towards NZXT... i'm not expecting wonders, but hey.. you never know.
I'd still prefer full control and near perfect latency.
If they don't budge i'm planning to use liquidctl. I've heard this is a great alternative to control your AIO coolers and mobo leds with a lightweight CLI based solution.

Hopefully this can be usefull to someone.
Last edited by TimboSlice on 18 Jun 2023, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jun 2023, 00:07

Thank you for posting this!

Background software is a big problem with stutters in games, and TestUFO is a fantastic stutter-detector for background software -- as a canary in coal mine for gaming.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TimboSlice

Post by TimboSlice » 18 Jun 2023, 13:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 00:07
Thank you for posting this!

Background software is a big problem with stutters in games, and TestUFO is a fantastic stutter-detector for background software -- as a canary in coal mine for gaming.
No problem & indeed! Helps a lot with eliminating naughty software.
I also contacted NZXT and with some back and forth communication they have acknowledged the issue with their software.
But i'm not sure if they are planning to fix this in the near future.