Option to hide "VSYNC is not available on the Linux platform"?

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
mtrantalainen

Option to hide "VSYNC is not available on the Linux platform"?

Post by mtrantalainen » 15 Dec 2023, 10:51

When I run Frameskipping test on my Linux desktop, the test renders

Code: Select all

UNSUPPORTED: VSYNC is not available on the Linux platform.
on the middle of the test even though I can see with high speed camera that the test animation is rendered perfectly and the frame rate counter below the test is actually exactly right (144 Hz, matching the actual display refresh rate).

So it appears that my browser can actually sync to the monitor perfectly well but the test still shows a warning. As the warning is actually a heuristic, it shouldn't be rendered on top of the test. It's fine to render it below the test.

(I'm running Google Chrome with xfwm4 + picom in case somebody is interested.)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Option to hide "VSYNC is not available on the Linux platform"?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Dec 2023, 13:34

TestUFO 2.0 HDR is launching later this month.

It will now show orange at 60 Hz and green at recognized high refresh rates (120+).

Historically I posted a $2000 Bounty for the top5 distros to get their VSYNC act together. Now thanks to the wonderful work by the kwin-lowlatency fork, those patches are now upstream in some distros. About damn finally time, but TestUFO does not whitelist Linux VSYNC at 60Hz — but I will no longer display that message in 2024, and I award Linux a green READY whenever 120Hz or higher is detected. Limitation of HTML5 API forcing me to do heuristics to detect refresh rate successfully on most platforms and most browsers.

New Linux messages in 2024 in the next TestUFO version:

60Hz or “fake 60 cap” detected:
“VSYNC is unknown on Linux” + yellowish orange background

120Hz or higher detected:
“READY” + green background

This is because any frame rate caps in browsers and window managers are usually set to 60.000 when there is no VSYNC. This is indistinguishable from a genuine refresh rate.

Later in 2024 I may lower the threshold to 75.000 or 72.000 as those refresh rates are common and are rarely faked as a cap. 60 is the common fakehz cap in browsers running under window managers and browsers that don’t have a successful refresh cycle signal (the VSYNC tick tick event).

TestUFO needs it for scientific-equipment tests that makes VSYNC mandatory, such as www.testufo.com/ghosting
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!