Ideas of new TestUFO tests -- SUGGESTIONS HERE

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Ideas of new TestUFO tests -- SUGGESTIONS HERE

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2017, 19:23

Hello,

This year 2017, several new TestUFO tests are going to be created...
...including a SMTT-2.0-accurate input lag TestUFO test using a new technique I have invented.

I'd love to hear suggestions of new TestUFO motion tests you'd like me to create.

Cheers,
Mark Rejhon
Chief Blur Buster
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Re: Ideas of new TestUFO tests -- SUGGESTIONS HERE

Post by Haste » 20 Feb 2017, 20:05

Hi chief,

Would it be possible to have a motion test of a first person camera rotation?

As if you were in a First Person Shooter, and you rotate the camera to the side. It would loop after each revolution.

there would be a toggeable cross-hair in the center.
The cross-hair would be an anchor point for the stare. And would allow to see stroboscopic stepping artifacts visible on the rotating background.

Bonus point if it has several animations at different frame rates displayed simultaneously. It would help educate people on the relation between the frame rate and the size of the stroboscopic steps for a same motion speed.

To visualize what I am going for, launch a first person game, and with a controller lock the stick controlling the camera to the right. Look stationary at the screen. The stroboscopic effects are very noticeable.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Feb 2017, 10:27

That is a great idea.

But I think it's easier to simply add a crosshairs feature to the Moving Photo test, because I don't currently know WebGL programming (At this time) needed to create a very detailed 3D scene in TestUFO.

I have used the TestUFO Moving Photo test, Paris Eiffel Tower to do this. I simply put a finger near top edge, and I watch the stroboscopic effect (phantom array effect) of the top of the TestUFO Eiffel Tower during non-eye-tracking situations.

Additional TestUFO photos such as a panorama screenshot of a 21:9 game could be added to http://www.testufo.com/photo -- this won't be 3D, but it would be the easiest way to implement somewhat game-like scenery. Bonus if it's a 360 degree generated panorama, since it would seamlessly wrap. Or even make this a separate TestUFO test, modified version of TestUFO Moving Photo.

FEATURE REQUEST (by Haste)
- Add a game scene panorama image to testufo.com/photo
- Add a crosshairs ON|OFF to testufo.com/photo

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Feb 2017, 06:19

Wouldn't be as simple as drawing a 3d skybox at which you can look around in? If you were to make a skybox of a game level with same FOV and high enough resolution it would be pretty indistinguishable from in-game.

Glide

Post by Glide » 22 Feb 2017, 09:55

Judder demo: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2759
Glide wrote:I was wondering if it might be possible to add a judder demo to TestUFO.
It would be a modification of the black frame insertion test to replicate something like this image:

(this only seems to work in some browsers for me, I had difficulty setting the correct framerate and some browsers drop frames)

So the test would have a black background and just show a white ball moving back and forth, instead of wrap-around scrolling like the BFI test does.
The test would only show two images: the image without BFI and the image with maximum BFI. (one image frame, plus as many black frames as required to match the framerate on top)

Instead of picking how many UFOs you want to display, the test would have you pick any framerate which is a divisor of the refresh rate - including very low framerates. (that was supposed to be 10 FPS)

I think this serves as a pretty good demo of how BFI not only improves motion clarity, but also helps remove judder from low framerates.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2017, 10:34

lexlazootin wrote:Wouldn't be as simple as drawing a 3d skybox at which you can look around in? If you were to make a skybox of a game level with same FOV and high enough resolution it would be pretty indistinguishable from in-game.
That's a possible idea. Want to provide WebGL sample code of a skybox? And find an appropriate texture that looks good in this skybox? It can take hours and hours to create the correct graphics for an appropriate 3D scene that doesn't look distorted in a skybox.

But one big problem. Slower computer systems won't be able to render it at 120fps. (And a big problem occurs at 240Hz...) Less than half of computers would properly demonstrate it. Ouch....

Initially though, I'd do a quicker minute modification to TestUFO Moving Photo, since it is capable of demonstrating the same thing (TestUFO Eiffel Tower Test). I'd just grab a wide panorama screenshot of one game, which is much easier. And 99% of systems are capable of running properly at 120fps -- even Intel graphics from 5 years ago does TestUFO Moving Photo at 120fps @ 120Hz. It's lovely to just provide a TestUFO link and know it will almost always work...

(...nonwithstanding those "TestUFO stuck at 60fps" issues beyond my control, often a browser vendor failing to enable hardware acceleration, or the IE/Edge "can't do 120Hz" problem...sigh)

As a result, WebGL skybox would be an optional nice-to-have feature, in addition to the easier, more-guaranteed TestUFO Moving Photo test -- even works to educate newbies on cheap systems before they buy their powerful gaming systems.

FEATURE REQUEST (by lexlazootin)
- (nice-to-have) If possible/easy, add an optional WebGL skybox mode for certain TestUFO tests

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2017, 10:38

Good feature request. It wouldn't be too difficult.

FEATURE REQUEST (by Glide)
- Add more options to www.testufo.com/blackframes to demonstrate judder-reduction capability of BFI

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2017, 12:38

Adding my own feature request: Mimic some vsynctester.com features.

Currently, http://www.vsynctester.com provides an ultra-precise refresh rate measurement (accurate to many decimal places). What I'd display is a similar graph and statistics. We already have something roughly similar (as a hidden test) to vsynctester, but can be enhanced further by displaying additional statistics. Including displaying a precise refresh rate number. Perhaps a vsynctester.com style TestUFO test, as one possible example -- that displays a bunch of animations, flickers & statistics all at one time. vsynctester already credits Blur Busters, and they mainly target browser debugging rather than as general-purpose motion tests, but it'd be useful to make TestUFO display some similar statistics too.

FEATURE REQUEST (by Chief Blur Buster)
- Make existing Animation Time graph test a non-hidden test (http://www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph) easily accessible in menu

- Display TestUFO Precise Refresh Rate to several decimal digits, e.g. 119.86Hz or 120.15Hz
either embedded as part of this test, or a different URL such as "/exact-refresh-rate" that bypasses the user-friendly rounding and displays an exact Hz (as much as possible)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Mar 2017, 14:51

People want to see GSYNC/FreeSync simulation using UFO graphics. I have successfully created a TestUFO GSYNC simulation demo, but it uses a vertical line. However, I can use the same software-interpolation trick on small images too such as the UFO graphic in order to emulate GSYNC on a non-GSYNC display.

- Add a TestUFO Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) demo to compare non-VRR (stutter) versus VRR (stutterfree) using UFO images

ycc

Post by ycc » 08 Mar 2017, 19:26

I just discovered this site and it's cool! I have written tiny tests like these for internal use before but definitely not as systematic as this.

One suggestions for the frame rate scrolling tests like "UFO", "Vertical Scrolling", and "Marquee": The logic seems to round the coordinates for the text to be integer coordinates, therefore the rendering is always pixel perfect with no blurring/filtering going on. Is it possible to add a mode where we get blurred filtering? So basically, allow X/Y coordinates in fractions, so something like (38.2, 40.5) would be rendered blurry because of filtering instead of rounded to (38, 41).

If I remember correctly though, the proper way to tell the browser to not round the coordinates does differ depending on which one you are targeting, ranging from using CSS transform/translate, setting the CSS position, drawing on canvas, etc.

The reason to request this is that let's say you are building a 30fps game or experience, you will usually turn on subpixel filtering for a smoother experience. The images will be blurrier, but that prevents the sort of stuttering you see in the animation, and I think it's a more representative comparison of what the user will actually experience in 30 vs 60fps for normal apps.