[Pursuit photography] Camera focal length (and frame format)

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Lim

Post by Lim » 28 Jun 2017, 10:42

Hey :)

Just wanted to ask if I can improve my ufotest pictures with a new camera lense. The "problem" I have (especially with TN panels) with my 12mm samyang t2.2 lense on a micro four third sensor, is that I have to go pretty close to the monitor and viewing angles "destroys" my taken picture a bit. My thoughts: with a ~30mm lense I can make 1-2 steps back from the monitor where the pictures will not suffer (maybe?) that much within viewing angles. I also tried already with filming in 4k, slow down in premiere and pick the frame where the pursuit camera line is perfectly straight. The problem here also was within viewing angles and my picture was not that sharp and chiefs example on a perfect picture

Thanks a lot :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Camera focal length (and frame format)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jun 2017, 15:03

Lim wrote:Hey :)

Just wanted to ask if I can improve my ufotest pictures with a new camera lense. The "problem" I have (especially with TN panels) with my 12mm samyang t2.2 lense on a micro four third sensor, is that I have to go pretty close to the monitor and viewing angles "destroys" my taken picture a bit. My thoughts: with a ~30mm lense I can make 1-2 steps back from the monitor where the pictures will not suffer (maybe?) that much within viewing angles. I also tried already with filming in 4k, slow down in premiere and pick the frame where the pursuit camera line is perfectly straight. The problem here also was within viewing angles and my picture was not that sharp and chiefs example on a perfect picture

Thanks a lot :)
Hey,

Are you Lim's Cave? I haven't yet added you to http://www.blurbusters.com/motion-tests ... uit-camera

Yes, the solution is to add distance between the monitor and the lens -- use a narrow-angle lens for pursuit camera photographs in TestUFO. You can also use zoom as a way to compensate for distance, too.

The ideal distance is not too much closer than regular human view distance (~1:1 screen width) but some testers do it really close (inches away) and some from very far away (over a meter away). Either way works but for most accurate pursuit camera photography is from human viewing distance.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Lim

Post by Lim » 28 Jun 2017, 15:15

Hey again,

thanks for your response. Yes I'm from the YouTube channel Lim's Cave :)

Good to know that a longer focal lenght can help. I think I'll try to get a cheap ~24-35mm lense from E-Bay then, because like mentioned, on TN panels with my wide angle lense it's pretty exhausting to get a "perfect" result.
...I haven't yet added you to http://www.blurbusters.com/motion-tests/review ... uit-camera
No rush :) Since I'm working at this "project" I really know how much work this is to keep everything up to date :lol:

Edit: I also will add some Blur-Busters Links onto my page as soon as possible

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jun 2017, 13:30

Yes,

Even 8 inches or 12 inches -- if you're just capturing one UFO in www.testufo.com/ghosting -- is often far away enough to eliminate gamma nonuniformities in pursuit camera photography. Zoom or crop will also do the job. Back away a bit, and use zoom or cropping.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2017, 09:08

Ghosting now supports vertical repositioning via dragging in Full Screen Mode. There's a new Full Screen button at http://www.testufo.com/ghosting

This is good since ideal position for pursuit photography is exact screen center.

But sometimes not all pursuit rails can easily be raised to be exactly screen center.

So you can adjust Ghosting up/down by a few centimeters to match your camera's vertical position. Just don't get too close to top edge or bottom edge, since there is often major stobe crosstalk differences (in ULMB) at top/bottom edges versus screen center.