Testufo BFI Brightness Equalizer

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
RealNC
Site Admin

Testufo BFI Brightness Equalizer

Post by RealNC » 20 Jul 2017, 23:13

I noticed something weird in the black frame insertion test. The brightness equalizer seems to work fine on my two TN displays. On my IPS, it results in the top UFO being much darker than the bottom UFOs.

I'm curious as to why that is? Is it due to the pixel response difference?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Glide

Re: Testufo BFI Brightness Equalizer

Post by Glide » 20 Jul 2017, 23:44

Pretty sure it is response time.
If I recall correctly, changing the overdrive setting on my monitor affected this.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Jul 2017, 00:12

Indeed. Increasing overdrive makes them brigher. The top UFO is still darker though, since they all get brighter with increased OD.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jul 2017, 00:44

Two big reasons:

(1) Gamma. The gamma means that full-persistence (non-flickering) UFOs may not be brightness-matched with the flickering UFOs.

(2) Response time. Sometimes the time-to-disappear is unmatched with time-to-reappear, especially with different BFI ratios (e.g. 25%:75% ON:OFF). Overdrive changes the balance, so you will see shifts with overdrive.

Here's http://www.testufo.com/blackframes demo embedded for your viewing pleasure, with a "full framerate UFO" added to bottom:

I've tried my best to make Brightness Equalizer work on the majority of gaming displays, but gamma nonlinearities and response-time nonlinearities will make this impossible. I'll see if I can rebalance the Brightness Equalizer a little more.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!