VSync is available on Linux

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
OneComment

VSync is available on Linux

Post by OneComment » 30 Dec 2017, 11:58

The tests say VSync is not available on Linux but that is not true in all cases. Maybe include that link somewhere?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: VSync is available on Linux

Post by RealNC » 30 Dec 2017, 13:46

OneComment wrote:The tests say VSync is not available on Linux but that is not true in all cases. Maybe include that link somewhere?
What the message means is that vsync through the web browser is not available. Vsync in general works just fine in Linux. It's just the browsers that don't correctly report frame timings through Javascript.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: VSync is available on Linux

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jan 2018, 13:29

Correct. Not all web browsers reliably support VSYNC.

It's possible that some browsers already do on Linux, but I am unable to detect that fact, so a message is displayed anyway.

For example, JavaScript often lies to me about the exact refresh rate or the existence of VSYNC. I am trying to encourage web browser vendors to add proper VSYNC discoverability. But until then, I have to use advanced programming tricks to detect VSYNC in web browsers -- I'm one of the few websites that does this "relatively" successfully. The other one is http://www.vsynctester.com

VSYNC ends up actually supported if you see perfect zero microstutters and zero tearing in motion (e.g. http://www.testufo.com/photo ) in a motion quality similar to what you see under Windows on a modern GPU (with browser the only app running). In this situation, simply disregard the "VSYNC unsupported" message if you've confirmed perfect motion in the Panning Photo test.

EDIT: See Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Works/Fail?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!