[$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

[$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Works/Fai

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2019, 16:53

By special invitation, I may be prepared to double or triple the bounty. USD $2000

Blur Busters X-Prize Open Source Bounty Now Doubled To $2000

Inquire within at the email address posted earlier in the thread.

Be prepared to show source code proof or your skillz, and to help work with almost all the distro vendors to force them to configure to this new KWin fork (or get that mainline-committed, preferably to all popular X desktops).

In short, the distros should be upgraded to automatic 144Hz/240Hz friendliness in their default installs.
1. Convince the 5 most popular distros makers to modify their installs, with the distro vendors already pre-configuring them to 144Hz-friendliness and 240Hz-friendliness
2. Test-install them boilerplate default settings including their preferred default X desktop/server/theming.
3. 144Hz TestUFO and 240Hz TestUFO needs to work perfectly out of the box with no fiddling of settings.

And you get $2000.

Again: The distro vendors must understand 144Hz and 240Hz.
Currently between now (November 2019) and mid-2020, I pre-qualify:
Ubuntu, SuSe, RedHat, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, Linux Mint
other distros may be pre-approvable by invitation, inquire to my email

I will make this bounty slightly easier: I will make the terms more flexible: You choose the distros to convince, instead of me choosing the distros. I pre-qualified 6 distros above. You succeed in convincing at least 5 of the above distro makers to ship them preconfigured to for 144-Hz / 240-Hz stutter-free friendliness in all their default installs, functioning at the high-Hz successfully on the majority of AMD/NVIDIA/Intel GPUs made in the last 10 years, with default browser install of both FireFox and Chrome.
i.e. In simple terms, if 144Hz works in Windows, 144Hz should work under Linux by default on same machine.
Note: Ignore the "VSYNC Unsupported" message; please use animation time graph & stutter tests

Then You Get USD$2000
...This is with proof of completion of your successful work in an auditable proof -- e.g. your username in distro forums/your git commits/etc.
...That includes requirement to work with ALL current-version proprietary AND open source graphics drivers for these GPUs: Intel/AMD/NVIDIA, so it is possible some git commits may be required in open-source GPU drivers that still don't support VSYNC in X (if any are still left). It is possible others have already upgraded the VSYNC compatibility of some of those drivers now. However, all weak links must be fixed in a distro (all components) before 144Hz/240Hz works. You can simply fix only those weak links that still exists, but at least you must iron out all weak links in at least 5 distros prevent default automatic 144Hz/240Hz working out-of-box plug-n-play (no settings tweaking) from a distro directly downloaded from the distro website. Even a 1-line change per distro qualifies for a $2000 bounty, as long as it means I can just randomly download the 5 most popular distros & it works automagically on all 144Hz/240Hz systems on a variety of random computers. (But I can assure you as of November 2019: It's more than 1 line change on most of the distros! I am aware of a huge number of weak links -- not all X desktops are working perfect-sync at 144 Hz/240 Hz.)
...After inspecting your progress and code, I will download the distros directly from distro makers, test-install them on 10 random computers of various ages (this will take me several days to test, so I'll begin only after you're finished with at least 5 distros and they've released their new non-beta release versions).
...Simply 144/240Hz working isn't enough: It also has to be stutter-free (perfect fluidity, with flawless zero frameskipping test at http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping .... Ignore the popup VSYNC Unsupported message, photograph anyway)
...Communicating with you matching an email of your git commits/distro collaborations/etc -- in a fully 100% verifiable audit trail showing your actual involvement in all 5 of them (even if one change modifies multiple distros, e.g. an open source driver). Remainder of the requirements are listed in the previous pages of this thread, which must also be met as well, except for the added flexibility above.

And I will do a gradually-phased removal of the "VSYNC unsupported in Linux" message from TestUFO (as old distro installs slowly gets retired over years). Before asking questions, please read all previous pages of this thread. Appreciated!

$2000 USD Bounty valid till July 31st, 2020. Paid for by Blur Busters.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

life_at_1ms

Re: [$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/

Post by life_at_1ms » 25 Nov 2019, 16:53

Thanks for upping the ante!

So this seems to mean that display smoothness is superior on a "Looking Glass / GPU passthrough + Windows guest" than on its own Linux host. Is that actually true?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [$2000 bounty] Calling 120Hz+ Linux Users: TestUFO Work/Fail

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2019, 07:07

Yes. Ironically, I've seen better VSYNC performance in a VM running on Linux. Heavens!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2019, 20:01

I've submitted a github Issue on kwin-lowlatency

All 5 distros should use stutter-free KWin (+variants) by default.

This should raise awareness somewhat.

life_at_1ms

Post by life_at_1ms » 10 Dec 2019, 07:24

I posted this thread on the Phoronix forum to get more exposure, but I'm not allowed to pasted the link here.
Here's a reply there:
"Fluid 144Hz in browsers work without issues on Polaris/Vega + Compton/Picom/TearFree if CPU clock governor doesn't screw you. It's not a real mystery, is it?"

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2019, 14:06

life_at_1ms wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 07:24
I posted this thread on the Phoronix forum to get more exposure, but I'm not allowed to pasted the link here.
Here's a reply there:
"Fluid 144Hz in browsers work without issues on Polaris/Vega + Compton/Picom/TearFree if CPU clock governor doesn't screw you. It's not a real mystery, is it?"
TestUFO gets millions of mainstream visitors -- people who just get want to install a distribution and have it just automagically work. The key is that it's zero-configure enough that TestUFO is reliably able to confidently say VSYNC is correctly working. There's no heuristics possible to relatively confidently say VSYNC is working or not under a random Linux system, currently, so I continue to have the hard-coded "VSYNC Is Unsupported Under Linux" message.

SakiiR

Post by SakiiR » 09 Jul 2020, 14:57

Hey everyone, I am running Arch Linux (i3-gaps and Nvidia RTX 2070 with official nvidia drivers -> I can share more if necessary) with 3 monitors (60Hz, 144H and 240Hz respectively). All the monitors are from the BenQ brand.

I recently that TestUFO was displaying 60Fps to me when having the three monitors on. When powering off/disabling the 60Hz one, i got "144fps" displayed. and finally having 240Hz when disabling all the monitors except the 240Hz one :p

I don't know much about my computer graphics/nvidia drivers/Xorg/Wayland etc etc, I am just a security engineer ^^.

I am not so interested about the bounty but do you have any information that could solve my issue ? Thanks all !

And one more thing ! very very very sadly, I have way better experience playing video games competitively on Windows that on Linux. Sorry to say that, I am myself very embarassed lmao

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jul 2020, 16:24

SakiiR wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 14:57
I am not so interested about the bounty but do you have any information that could solve my issue ? Thanks all !
Try making the highest-Hz monitor the primary monitor. See if that works.

Try running only one window only on the monitor that you want sync'd Hz.

For simultaneous windows on multiple monitors, be noted about stuttering harmonics -- there may be beat-frequency stuttering such as 24 stutters per second with 60Hz interacts with 144Hz, being (60+60 = 120), and (144 MOD 120) = 24.... You may wish to switch your 144Hz monitor to 120Hz, so that things smooth out between your 60Hz, 120Hz and 240Hz. Once you do that, try making the 240Hz your primary.

If that fails, you're permanently throttled by your lowest-Hz monitor, probably, until the X software is tweaked (I don't have instructions for specific X managers).

iopq

Post by iopq » 06 Aug 2020, 03:55

I investigated using Wayland. In Ubuntu 20 I was able to use Wayland with proprietary Nvidia drivers and launched Firefox. Using WebRender I got very bad frame rates, like 80 FPS. So I still can't actually do it, unless WebRender is what's slowing it down (I can always disable it).

robert

Post by robert » 02 Nov 2020, 20:21

Hej there, I just stumbled over this while working on something related and wanted to drop some notes some current developments that may be interesting for people here.

First of all, the recently released Mutter 3.38 (think Gnome-Shell) Wayland backend comes with proper support for per-monitor refresh rates. This is not limited to any specific rates, so 144 or 240Hz should just work fine out of the box - and with it all distributions than use it (Fedora 33, but also future version of RedHat EL, Debian etc.). Ubuntu still defaults to the Xorg backend but there's appears to be a good chance for 21.04 to make the switch eventually. If on vanilla Gnome 3.38 your monitors do not default to their native (so usually highest?) refresh rates, that's a bug* - if you see that, please report at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues
What's IMO important to note here is that Wayland compositors do not suffer from the same limitations as X11 compositors. On X11 a compositor/window manager is just another client that still has to communicate with Xorg. On Wayland the compositor has full control over the rendering process and can thus archive minimal latency etc. without having to worry about extra communication or limitations in Xorg. So moving to Wayland is the natural step to seriously solve these issues.

As for firefox: there's work well on the way so the Wayland backend can properly handle things (see e.g. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 645528#c10 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1629140). The Wayland backend is not yet the default (only on Fedora) because of missing flash support. With the final EoL of that, the Wayland backend will get switched on at the beginning of next year. Hopefully with the vsync work finished and merged by then.

In short: step by step an increasing subset of users will see this work out of the box - by improving the upstream projects :)

*: as long as you are not on proprietary nvidia drivers...