Difference when having 2 monitors running

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
hammy

Difference when having 2 monitors running

Post by hammy » 19 Feb 2020, 18:02

Hello guys,

Iam new on this forum and looking for some advice. I am currently running with 2 monitors, one is 144hz and other one is 60hz.
Just fyi. I didn't have this problem when I ran with a single monitor - it first occured when using 2.

I tried doing the UFO test, and when I had the test running on my 2nd monitor, everything felt less smooth ingame.

My problem is that when iam playing games on my main monitor, (144hz) and watching a stream on twitch or a video on 2nd monitor, my game doesn't feel smooth anymore. If I remove the video or minimize it, the smoothness is back again.
I tried a couple of things, disabling the hardware acceleration in; Discord, Google Chrome, and turning unnessary stuff off in nvidia control panel.

My specs:
Windows 10
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
RAM: Corsair 16 GB - 3000 MHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING

Hope someone has an idea what the issue could be...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Difference when having 2 monitors running

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2020, 02:03

It has been a long a bane of Windows, unfortunately --
Different-Hz multimonitor has frequently had a lot of issues over the years, where one of the two would stutter.

Fortunately, some relief is coming:
https://blurbusters.com/new-windows-upd ... timonitor/
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hammy

Post by hammy » 24 Feb 2020, 09:02

alrighty, cheers for response...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2020, 13:00

hammy wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 09:02
alrighty, cheers for response...
As a temporary stopgap:

(1) Run your game on primary monitor in true exclusive full screen mode. Don't use borderless windowed full screen.

(2) This will prevent monitor #2 from interfering with monitor #1. There can still be stutters on monitor #2 but there will be a lot less interference to primary monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GalmOne

Post by GalmOne » 27 Feb 2020, 12:34

Okay, dumb question incoming: would that issue be fixed with two identical monitors, or at least, two with the same frame rate?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Feb 2020, 13:35

GalmOne wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:34
Okay, dumb question incoming: would that issue be fixed with two identical monitors, or at least, two with the same frame rate?
Yes. If the signal is coming from the SAME graphics card and the timings are the same -- they're in sync. Solves the problem. Triple monitor surround is good too.

But if you use two separate graphics cards, one may output 120.001 Hz and the other 119.999 Hz. You won't have stutter visible but you may have minor latency differences at different times with windowed applications, especially at lower refresh rates (refresh cycles out-of-phase situations).

GalmOne

Post by GalmOne » 27 Feb 2020, 13:37

Okay, great, thanks for the explanation. So, I'll be going for a single computer, twin monitor build, with 2 identical monitors as not to get irregularities.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Feb 2020, 21:52

GalmOne wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 13:37
Okay, great, thanks for the explanation. So, I'll be going for a single computer, twin monitor build, with 2 identical monitors as not to get irregularities.
Yep -- you'll have no stutter problems with two identical monitor setups connected to the same GPU.

That said, even with these setups, try to keep your games in full-screen exclusive (FSE) on the primary monitor (where possible).